Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Should I Get?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

I'm just wondering what i should put on a computer that has ME and i think 128 MB of RAM (ill get more RAM)
XP home or XP professional? also how hard is it do the the upgrade ?

thanks guys ~ :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

Pro would be my choice.
Just my preference but a nice clean ntfs formatted drive is the only way to go.
More work but well worth it.
If you want to go upgrade and have a few spare minutes, take the XP Readiness Test

Edited by HitSquad, 30 March 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

Arent there more known issues with upgrading than using a full version. You really wanna have at least 512MB RAM to enjoy WinXP. I beleive XP Pro has more Administrative, Security and Networking features than the Home Edition but there really isnt THAT much difference.

HitSquad is right...if you can, Install a fresh, full version of Win XP Pro or Home with NTFS file system and you should be pretty good. You can still get away with running on 128MB Ram but you will notice in some cases, an unaccpetable level of performance.

Darren De Wilde

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

Windows XP Comparison Guide

Edited by HitSquad, 30 March 2006 - 04:31 PM.

#5 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

well the computer im talking about isnt the one im on right now. The one im on right now is a dell L700cxe with only 63MB of ram :thumbsup: ..which i dont understand because isnt supposed to be 64, not 63? ive run EVEREST that program that tells you all that hardware information and it says 63 MB of RAM... anyways the computer im talking about upgrading to XP is a dell dimension 8100 but im not sure how much RAM is in it (ill have to check)...
im thinking about XP home, only because i dont really need a lot of the features in XP pro, and also the price is about 100 bucks less for the home upgrade right? So it seems home would be the right choice.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

The vast majority of home users do not need the added features in Professional, so Home is usually the right choice, especially considering the cost difference.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:05 PM

Actually, there are a few good reasons for going with Pro, but before you can do either Home or Pro, you need to make sure your hardware - your computer is able to run XP at all.

Use the Upgrade Advisor
The Upgrade Advisor is a tool you can download and install to check if your system hardware and software are ready for upgrade to Windows XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/advisor.mspx

or
Search the Windows Catalog
The Windows Catalog lists products that are compatible with Windows XP. You'll find the Windows Catalog helpful if, for example:
You are thinking about purchasing Windows XP and want to check whether your current software and hardware is compatible with it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/compat.mspx

Reasons for Pro over Home:
You have children and want them to be able to play games with the computer but want to restrict them from access to your documents.
You cannot do that with XP Home. You can't restrict your spouse either unless she/he will stand for limited usage of aps and abilities.

To play many games (those that require writing to the registry which most of the games they will want tp play need to do to function, in Home you have only two choices - administrator and limited user.

A limited user cannot use any ap/game, etc that writes to the registry, and anyone using Home with admin rights can see your documents - you cannot exclude an administrator from any function.

Pro gives you many more security choices, and abilities, and the ability to set user and file permissions yourself as administrator as to what you want to share and what you do not.

Pro gives you Remote Desktop, networking wizard, wireless networking wizard, and more which is not available in Home Version.

XP Pro will have five years of extended support available after support is discontinued for the home product.

Some differences between XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...ls/wxpdifs.html

For a few dollars more, it shouldn't even be a question!

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 March 2006 - 06:17 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2 - OEM
$139.95

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM
$89.95

Newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....68&N=2060350368

And, you can probably find XP Pro for less.....I did a few months ago.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

You have children and want them to be able to play games with the computer but want to restrict them from access to your documents.
You cannot do that with XP Home. You can't restrict your spouse either unless she/he will stand for limited usage of aps and abilities.

Hmmm. Not sure what you are referring to here. In Home, you are able to restrict access to your files when you create a password for your account. You will be given the choice of either sharing your documents, or restricting access. Unless there is more than one version of Home???
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

I'd go with the home edition, considering the price difference. I used to have Windows XP Professional edition, but got rid of it when I installed Linux. I really got used to the professional edition, but home is a good start when upgrading.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:01 AM

I used to have Windows XP Professional edition

On the machine you are talking about now?

Do you still have the CD and the 25 digit key - or the manufacturer's restore disk for that machine and the key?

Or for that matter, if it was a retail version (not preinstalled by a manufacturer), even if you had it on a different computer from which you removed it, it is still viable and can be installed on the computer you are talking about if it will handle XP.

#12 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

I used to have Windows XP Professional edition

On the machine you are talking about now?

Do you still have the CD and the 25 digit key - or the manufacturer's restore disk for that machine and the key?

Or for that matter, if it was a retail version (not preinstalled by a manufacturer), even if you had it on a different computer from which you removed it, it is still viable and can be installed on the computer you are talking about if it will handle XP.

Yes, on the machine I am on now. It came pre-installed with Windowx XP Professional. Its a Dell Inspiron 6000. As for it being visable and such, good luck. On the log-in screen, I clicked windows and got an error message. So my quest is done.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

Viable - not visible.

But if you removed it from another computer on which it was factory installed and didn't come with a Windows hologrammed retail installation cd and a COA it would not be transferable.

#14 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

So, if I bought a retail copy of winxp pro I could install it on a computer that is currently running XP home OEM edition I guess. Problem is, would the OEM version of home transfer to the other computer as a swap around. From what I gathered, OEM versions are especially created for the particular computer or am I wrong there?

How will MS feel about activating a winxp pro version on a different comp than it was previously activated on?

Can we still network using the home version or is pro required for this..its only going to be a two computer home network to allow my daughter to play her toontown game while we are working.

Thanks,
Darren De Wilde

#15 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

nice avatar darren de wild, pink floyd is a great band

anyways thanks for your help guys, but i think im gonna go with XP home simply because i dont need all the features in PRO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users