Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet 'net' speed benchmark

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Is there any application out there that does a comprehensive internet 'net' or perceived speed benchmark. For example, it might download a few files, load a largish number of random web pages, log into a mail server, doing associated DNS lookups, perhaps exercising the browser cache, and anything else that affect the users perceived internet speed? Then hopefully point to possible problem areas..

I find that just doing a download/upload speed test is totally unrelated to how fast the net feels. I may do a normal speed test and get 20 Mbps/2 Mbps and the net can seem to drag, whereas another time I might feel like the net is flying but a standard speed test only shows 8/0.5.

There are computer benchmark programs that test the computer speed by running spread sheets, paint programs, excerpts of games, etc and then giving one result. Anything equivalent for the internet?
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users