Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons disappeared after rouge virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sanglero

Sanglero

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hi my name is Sandy. I have a huge problem. I had a rouge virus detected on my computer. I got rid of the virus but my desktop icons are not the same icons they are little white pages with the end curled in one corner. I have search for hours and days on this and have done everything that I think is possible without the recovery cds. When you go to all programs and search it is empty. HELP please.

Mod Edit:Moving from XP to the Am I Infected forum ~~boopme

Edited by boopme, 31 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hello Sandy and Welcome -
Since I am not sure how you removed the infection, here is a few quick tips > >

•Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and save it to your desktop
•Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
•Once complete, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click on the Update tab and check for updates
•Once that is done, click on the Scanner tab and perform a Quick Scan and remove any threats that are detected and reboot if prompted

Use unhide.exe to Reveal Files and Folders Hidden by Rogue Infections:
•Download and run unhide.exe by grinler from Here
•Once complete, you should now have all of your folders and icons visible again

Thank You -

#3 Sanglero

Sanglero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you so much for the post. I already tried the unhide. It didn't work. I really didn't realize I had a virus until I did a registry cleaner and things went CRAZY. So I tried to run a scan microsoft essentials and it told me I had a rouge virus.

#4 Sanglero

Sanglero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Is it okay to have so many anti virus installed. I have avast, norton, and microsoft essential. Should I delete some and keep what is needed.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi -
I am very glad that you asked that question, so that I can answer NO -

Any computer with more than one Active Antivirus program installed will find that none of them will work correctly -
The idea behind this is basically, each program thinks that the other one has removed your problem, and so none of them will ever work.
This is just a very basic view of the problem with installing more than one Active Antivirus program -
Please tell me the one that you wish to keep, and I will help you to remove the others -

A train station can only have X amount of carrages stopped or there will be a crash - You have XXX and are waiting for the next train to pull in and cause a bigger crash

I really didn't realize I had a virus until I did a registry cleaner

Can you please list the Registry Cleaner, if it is an installed program, as these can cause many of theproblems that you mention ??

Thank You -

#6 Sanglero

Sanglero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

That makes a lot of sense. Way too many antivirus programs. I would like to keep Norton. Oh and the registry cleaner was cc cleaner. I appreciate your help.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hi -
Here are the removal methods for your extra Antivirus programs, and the start of some desktop repairs -

Remove avast ! - Read the XP version and it should be simple -

Remove M.S.E. - Official Solution:
Microsoft has published a knowledgebase article for how to remove Microsoft Security Essentials
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9748340 Click RUN and follow any given directions -
If you have problems then run this M/soft FixIt program http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9779673

Now Download and be sure to Update both of these scanners > Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free
These are both Antimalware programs and are OK to use with your Antivirus program. Always select update prior to scanning with eitther of thse tools

I did a registry cleaner and things went CRAZY

CCleaner should only be used to remove Temporary Files as it can upset some programs when used as a Registry Cleaner -
Often the Registry Cleaner section will cause this problem also, Just click the top box (Cleaner) and not the Registry Cleaner section -

Here are a few more options to start with. There are several other tools if this will not work -
Try this - Click Start > Control Panel > Appearence and Themes > Folder Options > View Tabs > In Advanced settings click Show Hidden Files and Folders > OK to exit
Next try How to see hidden files in Windows

If the problem is not solved > Show Desktop Icons feature:
1.Right-click the desktop.
2.Point to Arrange Icons By.
3.Click Show Desktop Icons.

1.Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2.On the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop.
3.Under Desktop icons, click to select the check boxes of the icons you want to view.
4.Click OK two times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users