Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Secunia PSI

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seeker2

Seeker2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Since I installed Secunia PSI I have had problems such as pages freezing, unable to move on without manually shutting computer off and starting over, When I try to remove this program from Add/Remove it freezes there to. I have tried all the places I know to delete it but I am finding it imposable to do. I finally disabled it in start up but I want it deleted. If you can help me I would appreciate it very much.

WinXP-HE-SP3~AT&T-U-Verse~IE8~OE6~FF~Online Armor~ Avast~SpywareBlaster~Malwarebytes~SuperAntiSpyware

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi -
Have you ever used REVO Uninstaller ?? This is an Example of uninstalling Mozilla only -

1) First we download it from here: Revo Uninstaller Free Version. You can skip this Step if you already have it installed. However, you may need to update it. If you have it installed already, and you need to update it, go ahead and open it up and click the AutoUpdate Icon next to Help. The use of this program makes registry changes based upon what you select for removal from the Registry. Before running Revo Uninstaller please run ERUNT before proceeding to back up your registry in case you make a mistake.

2) Select the Program to remove from the list of programs and click the Uninstall button:

Posted Image

3) After selecting the program you want to remove, and confirming you want to uninstall the program, then you will want to select the Advanced Option:

4) Click Next. This will start the uninstaller for the application you picked. When the uninstaller is done, and it proves to be successful, and a reboot is required, then select NO and continue the below steps.

5) Follow the prompts during the uninstallation of the application. Once it closes you will be at this window:

Posted Image

6) Click Next again. Once the window is done scanning for files and other things that did not get removed, you will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

You will want to select only the bolded items, then click on Delete. If any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Once done, click Next. If it asks you to delete other files, then do so, but pay attention to the warnings.

See how you go with this first -

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

Since I installed Secunia PSI I have had problems such as pages freezing, unable to move on without manually shutting computer off and starting over, When I try to remove this program from Add/Remove it freezes there to. I have tried all the places I know to delete it but I am finding it imposable to do. I finally disabled it in start up but I want it deleted. If you can help me I would appreciate it very much.

WinXP-HE-SP3~AT&T-U-Verse~IE8~OE6~FF~Online Armor~ Avast~SpywareBlaster~Malwarebytes~SuperAntiSpyware

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

If you were trying to use the latest version of Secunia, you should do what a lot of us have done and go back to an older version. It's still on Secunia's website. It still works great and the new version is terrible.

#4 Seeker2

Seeker2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thank you noknojon, I downloaded Revo and got as far as #4 it got almost to the end of the scan for left over files folders and reg entries and it froze up on me, I had to hard boot
as I did yesterday a lot. I also tried Revo yesterday and it wouldn't even download I got a return email from them saying there was an error that prevented the program from downloading.
I thought sure I had it this morning when Revo did download but froze up.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

If you were trying to use the latest version of Secunia, you should do what a lot of us have done and go back to an older version. It's still on Secunia's website. It still works great and the new version is terrible.

I agree with frankp316 100%, FWIW. :)

#6 Seeker2

Seeker2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hi I finally got REVO to work for the removal of Secunia PSI, I do still have a folder on my desk top that has Secunia in it when I click on it I get another folder with PSI, can't delete either one, But my computer is running very well now.

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'm late to this party but thanks to all who posted here, esp. frankp316 and Union_Thug.

I've been spending way too much time this morning dealing with Secunia 3.0 and instead of posting, did a quick search and found this.

Back to 2.0 it is...the latest version (3.0) really is k - r  :thumbdown:  - p.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#8 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yes, I too had to remove the current PSI version 3 because it kept freezing at computer startup.

Have now reverted to the earlier version 2, and am quite happy.  No more startup freezing problems.

Hooray!

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users