Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Causing Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 m.weinberg

m.weinberg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer forums! I've been lurking around using others' threads to find fixes for my computer issues, but recently I've come across something I haven't been able to fix on my own. Recently, I was playing Borderlands 2 when my screen dimmed out and then went completely black. My computer didn't crash, and I was able to use audio to save and exit to windows before restarting, but when I rebooted my display wasn't restored. The back light goes on and off a few times like it always has, (there's nothing wrong with the monitor, but the computer has a half-second pause between the first few screens) but no image is actually shown, just a black screen. I don't get a no signal error, and I'm able to log in blind, though obviously I can't accomplish much from there. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers and reverting back to the drivers on the disc that it came with, but every start up gives me the same thing. I've tried checking connections and changing the power supply chords as well, all to no avail. Everything works fine with my old 3400, so I'm fairly certain this is a graphics card problem. Anyone have similar trouble and know if it's fixable?

Edit: Forgot to mention that the card has worked for about two years, and the fan was replaced about four months ago.

My Rig:
Power Supply-Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply
CPU-Intel Core I7 960
Mobo-Asus P6T
RAM-Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 12GB
Video Card-Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2GB

Edited by m.weinberg, 31 January 2013 - 06:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

possibly a bad graphics card? have you tried using the other port? or a different video cable?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 m.weinberg

m.weinberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Doh! The second port worked perfectly. Thanks for your speedy and helpful reply.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

If the second port worked fine, then my guess is the port you were using went bad. I would start saving for a new video card now before that port goes out to.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users