Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Sound Card not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 Pentium 4 with Windows XP Professional with 2G of memory installed; which works great for me since I do not play games on my computer and basically use it for web searches and email.

I discovered after receiving it that the computer has no sound features and I did not complain since it was given to me for free as a gift and my old computer was many years old.

A friend was over one day and we opened up the tower and he pointed out that I do have an open PCI slot and the manual that came with the computer indicates that this slot is for a PCI Express x1 card connector (j9C1) which he said would accomodate a Express x1 sound card.
We got on my computer and did a search for PCI Express x1 sound cards and found a SYBA 7.1 Surround Sound PCI-e Audio Card that also comes with a daughter card. The price was right and my friend told me to just use the main card in the available PCI slot and just leave the daughter card in the box.

I received the product in the mail and installed the main card in the PCI Slot, closed it up and reconnected the comupter.

When I turned on the computer I now get a Red, Yellow, and Blue rectangular floating sign that reads "NO SIGNAL INPUT" that just floats around on a black screen and this screen does not go away. As a result, I'm not able to run the CD so I can do the Set UP procedure for the new card. The screen never does get to my desk top. All I see is this floating sign.
When I remove the new sound card from the PCI slot and reconnect the computer, now the computer will work as it normally does.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with this installation? Isn't this open PCI slot intended for a sound card? Why is my screen acting the way it is and why won't my system proceed into the set up?

I appreciate your help!

Harkcomp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

What is PCI Express? A Layman's Guide to High Speed PCI-E ...
Currently, the most common use for PCI Express (PCI-E) is Video.

EDIT - Are you sure the slot is Sound, and the Card is also Sound, and not Video ??

Edited by noknojon, 31 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

What is PCI Express? A Layman's Guide to High Speed PCI-E ...
Currently, the most common use for PCI Express (PCI-E) is Video.

EDIT - Are you sure the slot is Sound, and the Card is also Sound, and not Video ??

Well....I'm not positive the slot is for sound. The photo that came with the manual shows a picture of the circuit board inside the computer and just refers to two different PCI slots. One is refered to as a PCI Express x16 card connector (J6C1) and the other a PCI Express x1 card connector (J9C1). My brother said the sound went out on his computer two weeks ago and he simply purchased a Sound Blaster PCI Express x1 sound card and installed it in the same available PCI x1 slot on his computer and it worked beautifully.

The box that my card came in has the words "Surround Sound PCI-e Audio Card" printed all over it. But for some reason does not seem to work in my system. The pin set up fits perfectly and the instructions even explain which socket to plug your speakers into.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I discovered after receiving it that the computer has no sound features

General Specs for your model > >
Audio Output
Type Integrated .Sound Output Mode 5.1 channel surround .Compliant Standards AC '97
High Definition Audio .Speaker(s) 2.0 x Subwoofer,
1.0 x Right / left channel

Below is from Dell -
Audio - Type - ADI 1980 AC97
Video - Type - integrated or PCI Express
If you installed a sound card:
Enter System Setup, select Audio Controller, and then change the setting to Off.
Connect external audio devices to the sound card's connectors. Do not connect external audio devices to the microphone, speaker/headphone, or line-in connectors on the back panel
From Dell Support > > Removing and Installing Parts
Dell Dimension 4700 Series Service Manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/parts.htm#wp1043338

Hope some of this helps you -

#5 kltsin

kltsin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

as others stated this system and all system have built in audio chips, but to add on to that info they are adequate for general audio use, no add in card is really needed unless for highend dolby etc, and highend outputs, but this is rare for a requirement.
Just get the onboard chip working and return the card or disable it in bios and use the new one.

its pretty simple to do depending on what direction you want to go.

#6 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

as others stated this system and all system have built in audio chips, but to add on to that info they are adequate for general audio use, no add in card is really needed unless for highend dolby etc, and highend outputs, but this is rare for a requirement.
Just get the onboard chip working and return the card or disable it in bios and use the new one.

its pretty simple to do depending on what direction you want to go.

For weeks I have been trying to figure out what steps to use to get the onboard chip to work.
Being a total novice at this I need more than just general instruction. For example: in the prior post Noknojon kindly provided me with instruction telling me to " Enter System Setup, select Audio Controller". Don't get me wrong....I highly appreciate all that you folks are trying to do to help, but being totally stupid at this I need to let all of you know that I need the very basics of instruction like...."Enter System Setup" Where? Or how? And once there I can then find and select Audio Controller.
The reason I'm here is two fold: it's because I'm hoping someone will get really elementary with an explanation and secondly....you can't see how red my face is.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Entering System Setup
Turn on (or restart) your computer.
When the blue DELL logo appears, press <F2> immediately.

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer (or restart) and try again.

noknojon has already provided links to the full service manual (the URL)
and the system setup information, under "System Setup", where you will see full instructions.

Edited by petewills , 04 February 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#8 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Entering System Setup

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer (or restart) and try again.

and the system setup information, under "System Setup", where you will see full instructions.

Thanks for your patience Petewills! I will give this a try and see what happens.

#9 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Entering System Setup

Ok. I tried this several times per your instructions above. When I turn off or restart my computer the very first thing that pops up on my screen is the operating system logo. I never do see a blue Dell logo appear.
Is there an alternate way to go in witht the F2?

Edited by harkcomp, 04 February 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

You have to be quick, sometimes.
I just copied the info from the manual for you.

However, harking back to my old Dell 4600, as soon as I turned it on, on the top right of the screen, it said Press F2 for setup and F12 for the boot menu. (The Dell logo was long gone).

As soon as you turn on or restart, try tapping the F2 key to get into the setup, before it tries to boot. Persevere!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users