Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open drives by double clicking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lillie1

Lillie1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Recently, I purchased a built computer from a small PC shop. I had trouble connecting to the internet, so the technician who built it came and added a network adapter card and changed some settings. (Not sure what he did.) After he left, my drives were not detected at all, not in My Computer nor in Device Manager so I did a system restore, which got the drives back but then I had trouble connecting to the internet again. So, I undid the system restore and connected OK again. A day later, I noticed I could not open a disc by double clicking on the drive in My Computer. I have two optical drives and it’s the same with both drives. I can right click and open to view files but not play disc. ( Movie nor music.) I can play them through the autoplay dialogue box though. I went into safe mode and tried and they will play in there by double clicking the drive.
What happens when I try to play by double clicking the drive is I got a message first saying, “The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel.” I checked the Default Programs and they were set properly. Then, when I tried double clicking the drives again, got a different message. This time saying, “Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item.”
I also ran MalwareBytes and MSE in both normal and safe modes. Nothing was detected either place. I also went into Device Manager and uninstalled the drives and restarted my computer for them to be detected again and they were but still didn’t correct the problem.
Is there a simple fix?

Edited by boopme, 31 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

OK, I am going to remove the other posts and move this to WIN 7 so you can get other ideas.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Download

Folder Fix

Extract and launch it and click YES to import it to registry

Try to open local drives now.

#4 Lillie1

Lillie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the reply but This did not make it work but i am now getting the following message again: “The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel"

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Please run the folder fix again ,restart the PC and try to open the local drive.

If that fails download

http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/drive_fix_w7.zip

Extract and launch it and click YES to import it

Try to browse the drives now.

#6 Lillie1

Lillie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

still no luck ran both & restarted after each & it nothing changed. any other suggestions?

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

I checked the Default Programs and they were set properly.

Below default programs you have another option called CHANGE AUTOPLAY SETTINGS,click on it

Scroll down and select reset all defaults

Try to launch now

#8 Lillie1

Lillie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

did not fix it.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

If this guy was supposed to fix your PC and screwed up, you're going to have to call him and get him to fix it properly. No one here knows what he did and neither do you. But he messed something up. I will never understand why some people are reluctant to get the service they paid for. If this guy did this to my PC, I'd be on the phone screaming at him until he got his butt here to fix what he screwed up.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

did these drive work before he came and add the network adapter .

try this microsoft fixit.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 Lillie1

Lillie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

tried the microsoft fixit and it it did not fix ti.
yes the drives were working before he came, I am going to contact him Monday unless someone can come up with something this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users