Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've been having some problems since the 1st of Jan. 2013

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Xander27

Xander27

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hey guys. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my network.
My network seemed to just give up after the new year. I was trying to surf the internet, but most sites were not working. Google worked but only a few sites worked. I connected to my VPN servers, and the internet works fine. It's not just my computer but all devices connected to the router.

I tried to add in DNS addresses, and it helped with some sites, but until now I've just been using the VPN servers (although they are much slower).

Recently I've been ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns and it seems to help it with some sites (like this one) but i still have to do it every few minutes.

PLEASE help! I'm starting to get really mad here and I have no idea what to do!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi Xander27,

One thought would be to look up trusted, open, DNS servers in your area....like openDNS...and add one or two to your router rather than letting it use the ISP's.
Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 2001:4860:4860::8888, 2001:4860:4860::8844
OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220
Norton DNS: 198.153.192.1, 198.153.194.1
DNS Advantage: 156.154.70.1, 156.154.71.1
I had a slow down myself and decided to go BACK to using the ISP's and that resolved it for me.

You can also check your "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" file and make sure it wasn't tampered with.

Update your system and security/antivirus programs and do a deep/full scan to ensure you haven't picked up a bug along the way.

Without any details, logs, or action items this is the best I can offer for now.

To help you get further ahead do the following if my ideas don't help/resolve things; (This way a forum regular will already have the info they need.)

1. To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform.
- Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
- Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.

2. Please download MiniToolBox by farbar, save it to your Desktop, and run it.

Check the following checkboxes:
- List content of Hosts
- List last 10 Event Viewer log
- List Installed Programs
- List Devices
- Only Problems

- List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
- List Minidump Files
- List Restore Points

Then click Go.
- Copy the result (Result.txt) by clicking Edit from top menu -> Select all, then Edit -> Copy.
- Please Paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of this file into your next post.

Good luck,
Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users