Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pny 6600gt

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 treeh0rn

treeh0rn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

Hi everyone.. haven't been here in a while.
I've got a Dell Dimenion 4550 and have just bought a PNY 6600GT AGP 128mb card for it (upgrade from GeForce4 MX420!)

Anyway, I have installed the drivers from the CD (Oct 2005 version) and have tried the 3DMark2006 basic version benchmark.
The problem is, it only scores 1578, which is much lower than I think it should be. When I delved further into the system requirements for 3DMark2006, I found that it needs 1gig RAM (I have 768) and a video card with a memory of 256 (my one has 128).

I know that I don't meet the full requirements - I satisfy the others - but surely I should get a better score than 1578?

My mother board is only AGP 4x so could this be the issue? I know that 8x is better so is this holding my score back? (my spec is below - if you need any more please ask, I'm not sure what you need).

Thanks for any advice
:thumbsup:

Intel845PE chipset
768 RAM
2.5 CPU 533MHz
BIOS date 10/02/2002
BIOS version A02

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 treeh0rn

treeh0rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

I just found this article on Gamespot, which suggests that my score may be typical of my system spec. Please can you have a look and see what your expert opinions are. It states that the 6800 GT scores only 2550, and this card is better than mine.......
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142562.html

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

Don't worry about the score you recieved. I have the 6800gs OC'd (celeron 2.93ghz 533 fsb, 2gb pc3200 ram) and scored a 4412 on that same benchmark. Your score is respectable for your card and system.

3Dmark06 is a monster of a benchmark, and will bring many computers to their knees and eventually to a crawl, and make their owners cry a river of salty tears :thumbsup: It's just a tough benchmark to run.

When you ran it, did it look ok? Was there any artifacting (spots that shouldn't be there)? Or did it look nice and pretty? As long as it looked fine, don't sweat it.

If you want a better score, 3Dmark03 is a little easier to run. I scored just over 9400 on it.

TBH, you're card is fine, and it'll run the vast majority (if not all) of the games that are out today. It's got good clock speeds for the core and memory, and enough ram, so it'll last you quite some time :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 treeh0rn

treeh0rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

stevealmighty, thanks for such a quick reply! I feel better now lol

I ran 3DMark06 and then walked away, so I can't say if there were any artifacts. I will re-run and check it properly.
I am currently downloading the 2005 version and will be trying the 2003 one too. I meet all the requirements these earlier versions need, so I hope to be getting better scores.

treehorn
PS I bought this card to play Oblivion and I tried it with Morrowind and increased everything to maximum. It runs ok actually. Let's hope Oblivion runs ok too.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

1578 is reasonable. Remember that 3Dmark06 is meant to simulate future games, not what is out today.

You should be able to run Oblivion with a 6600GT although you might want to go really easy on the graphics. I got a 7800GTX OC'd to 470/1300 and cannot run Oblivion with everything turned full.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

You should be able to run Oblivion with a 6600GT although you might want to go really easy on the graphics. I got a 7800GTX OC'd to 470/1300 and cannot run Oblivion with everything turned full.

What's Oblivion? A game or a benchmark? :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 treeh0rn

treeh0rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

It's a single player role-playing game, and it's the reason I HAD to upgrade my video card (with the paltry funds at my disposal). Here's the link:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

The game which came before Oblivion is Morrowind.
Those Oblivion screenshots were made using serious video cards, so if I can get half of that, I'd be happy, although going from what Mr Alpha so kindly offered, I will have to reduce resolution and tinker with the settings to get a playable game.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

What's Oblivion? A game or a benchmark? :thumbsup:

Oblivion is the game at the moment. :flowers: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/47276/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-in-stores-tomorrow/
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Ahhh, yes, I know morrowind (only seen it, never played it!). I'm at work (and working awfully hard might I add!) and can't view those screen shots.....but I'll be sure to check them out when I get home :thumbsup:

I'd leave the settings at default and see how your card/system handles it. I'm a big fan of the 6600gt, and IMHO, I think it's one of the best cards out that you can get for your money (dare I say "best bang for your buck!). TBH, I was 1 click away from ordering a 6600gt when the wife gave in and let me get the 6800gs. The 6600gt is a good card, and I think that you'll be happy with the way it performs :flowers:

Edited by stevealmighty, 30 March 2006 - 03:14 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

Oblivion has overheated graphics cards and killed power supplys. It is probably the most demanding game on the market at the moment. But there is a reason.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

Oblivion has overheated graphics cards and killed power supplys. It is probably the most demanding game on the market at the moment. But there is a reason.

More links I'll have to check out when I get home. The gov't won't allow me to access these sites (Access is denied shows up when I click on the links) :thumbsup:

What's the game like? Is it FPS or MMPORPG or something else like 3rd person action/adventure? I'm into games pretty good, and am always looking to get yelled at by my wife for buying a new game.

I know that this is getting :flowers: , so I'll leave the game alone from here on out.

If that game does fry cards and powersupplies, then you should really take Mr alpha's advice and tweak it back so it won't overheat anything!
Posted Image

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

Technically Oblivion is an RPG, but saying that Oblivion is an RPG is like saying Nissan Terranaut is a car. It is an Elder Scrolls RPG, which are unlike any other RPGs out there. It's Knights of the old Republic meets Baldurs Gate 2 meets GTA. It is a game where you can completely ignor the 60+ hour main storyline and just get a horse and ride of to the farthest mountain on the horizon, where you'll probably find a bunch of caves and ruins for you to explore as elaborate as a whole game.

As for the technical side: Heading over to http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/ is unavoidable. In good Elders Scroll fashion the game is buggy as hell. None of my buddies nor me has been able to avoid editing .ini files to get things to work as they should. The game also requires some computing power. With 1,000 NPC's going about their lives and reacting to the world fulltime results in some heavy duty AI calculations. And the there is the 60,000 lines of voice-acted heavily encoded dialogue takes some power to decode. Some people have just turned off sound.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 30 March 2006 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users