Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newer video games suck

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Am I alone in thinking that this generation of video games really suck?

Let me tell you my story. Back in the late 1980's I was probably the only kid in my neighborhood to have a computer, it was an Amiga 500. I was one of the first to get a Nintendo. I played Atari 2600 since I was 7 years old. I grew up with video games, I was the video game master.
I got the sega genesis, then the N64, then the Xbox. After I bought the Xbox, around 2002, I hit some financial troubles. I no longer lived with my grand parents who would spoil me by buying me everything, and I no longer had money to buy every new console and game that came out. So I never owned too many Xbox games, and I skipped over the next generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and whatever else is out there). But I recently got over my financial troubles, and this Christmas built a pretty nice gaming PC (Nvidia GTX 670, Intel i7-3770K, 16GB ram). So I figured I would start buying all the newer games the kids these days are playing.
Let me just say, aside from the graphics, I am not impressed with these games.
The games are:
Crysis 2
Battle Field 3
Farcry3
GTA - San Andreas
L.A. Noire
Left 4 Dead 2
Resident Evil 5
Need For Speed Most Wanted
The Walking Dead
Silent Hill 3
Skyrim
The Witcher 2

Left 4 Dead, that game got really repetitive really fast. After an hour I felt like I was caught in a never ending time loop. And it's a first person shooter, I hate FPS games. We all have our tastes, and I just hate FPS's.

GTA San Andreas, seemed pretty cool, but I just got so tired of trying to get from point A to point B, constantly getting lost, constantly having to switch to my map screen. I wish I could stretch out the mini map like really huge. I hate maps, and I think that's why I hate FPS games. Always lost trying to figure out how to get to my destination, and getting killed while wasting hours wondering around aimlessly. Though I did get about 20 or 30 hours of fun out of GTA, and I might start playing it again one day.

Crysis 2, I'm not even sure I was finished learning all the different skills, via opening tutorial. I remember dying over and over trying to find my first target. Finally found him, and then told to go find another target. Could not figure out how to get to the target, got tired of being killed over and over while searching for a way to get from point A to point B. Turned the game off, and haven't played beyond that first few hours.

Battlefield, it's a FPS, but I was unaware at the time just how bad I hated FPS games. Man, I swear their all the same, or at least they all feel the same.

Far Cry 3, it's a FPS, though I'll admit, the game really looks like it has promise. But I am trying to find animal skins so I can craft a thing to hold my ammo in, because I run out of ammo in like 2 seconds and can't carry anymore, and that is really annoying. But I just end up running around and getting shot to death... it's an FPS.

L.A.Noire, was a pain in the butt actually getting this game to work. But once it worked, I thought it was pretty cool. Then I realized pretty quick, this doesn't seem like much of a game, it's more like a slightly interactive movie.

The Walking Dead, pretty interesting, but same as L.A. Noire, it's just a barely interactive movie.
I'm sure one day I will finish watching/playing L.A. Noire, and Walking Dead, maybe when I am in more of a movies mood.

Skyrim, fell in love with this game, I loved it so much, but I am taking a break from it. I put in like 40 hours in a week, I just need a little break

Resident Evil 5, this is not the Resident Evil 2 and 3 that I worship as the holey grail of video games. This is a combat FPS with so-called zombies instead of soldiers.

The Witcher 2, looks really good, looks a lot like Skyrim, I am taking a break from Skyrim, and therefore not really in the mood to play a game that looks and feels very similar to it.

Silent Hill 3, loving it, but also taking a break from it. Just taking a break from Skyrim and Silent Hill 3, and thus avoiding Witcher 2 for now, but these are games I am happy with.

Need For Speed, this is more my flavor of video game all together. Press start, and just go. I immediately knew that right trigger is accelerator, left trigger is break/reverse, and steer with left stick. Simple, no complicated crafting system, no character level up path MMORPG style, surprisingly easy to get from point A to point B. I like that the game draws a green line on what roads to take to get to your destination. All Mini-map games need to have that. Saves me hours of wondering around lost and getting shot to death. But alas, after playing pretty much nothing but that game since I took a break from Skyrim, I am needing a break from that game.

There were other games I bought and some I downloaded. But I never played them either because they wouldn't recognize my xbox wireless PC controller, or they didn't install properly. And there are still a few other games I just haven't gotten around to installing or playing, like Sims 3.
A part of me thinks maybe I am just getting old at 36, and maybe outgrowing games.
Like, I hate games that must give you a tutorial simply because the whole thing is over whelming and convoluted. I hate that because back in my day, you popped in a game, you had start, select, A, b, and an 8 way directional pad. There was nothing confusing about it. Pop in a game and go.
Now to be fair there are some complicated games with a complex menu and a crafting system etc, that are truly worth playing. Skyrim, and KOTOR are good examples. With KOTOR, which is one of my favorite, if not the absolute favorite game of all time. Sure learning how to play it was a bit complicated, but I didn't spend 80% of the game time running around trying to find something only to get shot down constantly while I am running around looking for my destination. And because it was really turn based style, I didn't have to fidget with a million buttons and options while being shot at by every thing from every direction, I could pause the game, and plan/select my moves, and then go. The inventory was infinite. There was none of this getting ambushed, panicking and just running for dear life, while not having time to remember what all my buttons do, or just standing there spinning around trying to figure out what angle I am being shot from.

I brought up the fact that I am bored with the games I have, and I am looking for some new games, to a friend. He tells me all about these great titles. I google them, and without fail, every single title he suggested is an FPS.
I take a look at the top 10 games of 2010, 2011, 2012, from various websites, nearly every top 10 game from every year is an FPS.

I go to youtube to find some interesting games, and sure enough every game review, every lets play, looks identical. The entire video is looking down the barrel of an assault rifle, in a 3d environment. I swear, it's like everyone of these games is just battlefield 3.

I was wondering something, like, even if you like FPS games, don't you get tired of it? I mean don't you ever shell out $60 and play the game and think to yourself “dude, this is just like every other game I own. It's like they just added a new map to an old Battlefield game.”

Like, are people this in love with FPS games, or is it that FPS is the only concept the video game developers can think of? Did the video game world just stop pumping out new ideas, and just start re-skinning golden eye and Doom over and over, improving the graphics each time?
Again, the real heart break is when I installed RE5, RE... one of the greatest video games of all time, and it was nothing like RE2 and RE3. I miss the stationary screen, I miss the 2d that looked like it was 3d.
And that's another thing, why do all games have to be 3d now?
I remember when video game systems were first powerful enough to start having 3d games, aside from flight simulators. The moment 3d became a common ability, everything got ruined. Mario was now 3d and it sucked. Sonic was 3d and it sucked. I mean, you just know if they ever remade Atari's PitFall, it would be 3d, feel nothing, and I mean nothing like the original whatsoever. For all I know they might have actually remade that game... I am betting it's 3d LOL.
Seriously, games don't actually HAVE to be 3d. And not every game has to be first person view. I mean, whatever happened to good ol' side scrolling and overhead. Every combat video game is an FPS, I kinda miss Contra. Hey remember left, left, right, right, up, down, up, down, A, B, Start? It was the only way anyone ever beat that game LOL

Another game I really miss, and wished my N64 hadn't died in the flood, was WWF No Mercy. Once you got used to how the controls worked, you could pop it in, press start, and the entire game was all reflexes. No real thinking, just reacting. It was very relaxing. And that is a certain charm the older games in my day had: the fact that once you got familiar with the controls, every time you popped in the game, it was all a matter of reacting, your reflexes just took over, and it created a very relaxing way to waste hours of your day.
Often I find myself stressed, and I want to turn off my brain and just relax. I often feel antsy and don't feel like watching TV or movies. I'd rather do a little something. Used to be video games were relaxing. Now, video games seem unnecessarily complicated. And while a video game can be complicated and still be very entertaining, normally as a result of it being a complex game, I feel that too many games just make stuff unnecessarily complicated, perhaps as a way of creating the illusion of depth and choice.

There are so many FPS games that utilize every single button, stick, trigger, and then have a menu containing tons of options to upgrade and customize and level up this or that thing and choose this or that branch, and then there are different ways of interacting and manipulating objects, and all I can say is: it's an FPS, left stick moves, right stick moves camera, one button shoots the other changes weapons, and one button pauses, anything more than this and your game is a jumble of convoluted crap. Like there is a heal button, but there is a real time menu select for which heal item you're going to use, you have a dozen weapons to choose from each have their own unique ammunition, you have to manually reload, which in some games may or may not waste ammunition (i.e. dropping a 20/30 round mag to replace with a 30/30 mag, thus losing 20 rounds), and then you have different weapons categories that you have to scroll through such as flamethrowers in one category, grenades and land mines in another, hand guns in one, long guns in another, and then there is crouch, strafe, walk, run, jump, roll, attack with second hand, duel wield, and it's all so unnecessary. Dude, if it's an FPS, left stick, right stick, A, B, and Start for menu/pause, that's it, anything else becomes a mess in a real time combat situation, and it makes the introduction tutorial an hour long and I am never going to remember it all.

And another thing about the FPS genre, though not exclusive to FPS, is the huge open world map so often bragged about. I hear the selling point being “dude, the map is so big it could take 12 hours to walk from one end to the other. And every house and every car can be entered and interacted with.”
You know what all that translates to? “Dude, this game consists of nothing but missions and sub missions and side missions telling you to go here, and there, and back there, and here again, and all over the place. And there will be a marker on your overhead map, but nothing on your mini map, so you will actually spend hour upon hour like a lost child in a grocery store nervously looking for your goal/parent, and then constantly being attacked by anything and everything.”

I miss pong. I never had to go through a tutorial, and I never got lost, and I never forgot what button on my controller did what LOL.

And I know, there are plenty of simple repetitive 2d games on the web for free. All those millions of annoying flash games.

I just wish video game developers of today would try to break the mould and be creative and come up with whole new concepts. Or if we could just go back into putting some serious creative thought behind a side scroller, and take advantage of today's graphics and sound technology. I really wished when I loaded up Resident Evil 5, it was just like RE2, RE3, but with ultra high resolution images, hi definition surround sound, and high quality cut scenes with excellent voice acting, and maybe the option to choose relationships, customize weapons, and maybe choose a side mission here and there. But basically keep the same format as RE2, stationary background that changes when you go off screen, overhead view, 2D movement. I would have been happy with that, I suspect a lot of RE fans would have. I mean, maybe it would have been acceptable to turn the boss scenes into a 3D first person perspective game.
But make the rest of the game that familiar format we fell in love with.

And then there is downloadable content. Not happy with the fact you spent money buying the game? well spend more money for weapons amo and boosts to actually make it through the game. No thanks. I'm not falling for that MMO price plan: bought the game? like it until you got stuck? Don't want to do another 30 to 60 hours of grinding? Well hand over more real world money and we will give you stuff to reduce grind time, and actually make the game enjoyable.
I am not a fan of DLC.

Then there is the "go online and play with others". Who knows, that might actually be fun. But the only games that offer this are FPS games. And why do I get the feeling that if I did go online to play against other players, they'd all have over powered weapons that kill me in one hit, and armour so powerful I could unload an entire magazine into their forehead and they wouldn't die, and that this gear would be bought with a credit card? It's just a sneaking suspicion.

And the fact the games require an active connection to register before the install is complete. And what if I bought the game, and have no internet access? I mean sure if you have a PC chances are almost guaranteed that you will have internet too, but I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule.

That's my rant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I started playing comp games in 1982 on the dear old Spectrum and have gone through an assortment of comps and games over the years since then, i mostly like proper sensible PC games and flight sims, and thankfully there are just enough of them around to keep me happy..:)

#3 DigitalFamilyMember

DigitalFamilyMember

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Not necessarily; I like racing games :P

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

To play driving games we really need a steering wheel instead of a joystick, I keep meaning to get a wheel.

PS- I like rally games through the countryside on dirt roads best

#5 DigitalFamilyMember

DigitalFamilyMember

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Oh yeah that would be epic !

Nothing wrong with joysticks though !

:P

#6 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

There are plenty of games these days I don't bother with.  I played my first computer game on the Commodore 64.  It was called Telengard.  It was fun for that time.  Today I stay away from most FPS games and stick to action RPG's or strategy games.  I play WoW a lot.  Never thought I wanted to pay to play a game but is a bunch of fun, especialy when you have a few friends to hang with and chat with.  I aso play the Civ series.  Civ 5 is not bad, but my favorite in the series is Civ 3.  I played Skyrim a lot when it came out but like you, I gave it a break then picked it up again.  I also play the Fallout games.  3 and New Vegas are great games.  Also, why not go into the history of the Elder Scrolls series a bit?  If you liked Skyrim, give Oblivion and Morrowind a try.  I playd both for hundreds of hours.  Great fun those. 

I plan on buying Sim City.  I played it a bunch back in the day and am looking forward to the new version later this spring.  That and the newest expansion for Skyrim wil keep me busy for a while.

I hope you can get over your gaming bues and find something that hooks you.

Edited by Dacar92, 14 February 2013 - 01:41 PM.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#7 Galyn

Galyn

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Bars are raised. Newer generations comes in. That's how it works.

These types of games now seems to be the standard (Standard HD).

I agree 100% about the RE2 and RE3 though. icon_bananas.gif

#8 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I'm not impressed with newer games either. I don't own any consoles. The games aren't good enough, and the hardware is too unreliable.

Game developers have gotten stuck making exactly the same game over and over with only slightly different graphics and sound. It will eventually stop, but everyone will say that the truly unique games are all the same thing, unlike all of those millions of Street Fighter and Call of Duty clones.

To me, it seems like game developers try to make people upgrade their computers. They use all kinds of visual effects that you would never see in real life or in a real video recording just to make people feel like their graphics card upgrade was worth it.

DLC is really annoying. Why should anyone have to spend more money to complete a game that they already purchased?

The online games really suck. They are really easy and boring, and there are really only a few unique games.

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Flight sims are fun, these shots are from my Flight Sim X (left-click pic to expand)-

All very pretty in fine weather-
FSX-smithersBCb.gif

But not so easy when the weather clamps down-

FSX-sno.gif

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 16 February 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Like MickinPlymouth, I enjoy sims, both train and flight, and have a fair selection of them, RB_Kandy has a point as well about the complexity of modern games. I make no claims to any particular expertise, I'm only an occasional gamer - either when I have time or when the spirit moves me.

I know RB doesn't like the FPS category, but every once in a while I get the urge to just go in there and shoot lumps out of something, and the original DOOM fitted that to a T. Okay, it was written for DOS and Windows 3.x and the graphics were at best 'contemporary', but you could have it running inside of a minute and start blasting !  My local Game store persuaded me to try Doom 3 - I have since given it away. Like RB, I don't want the complexity of having to study the game and try to remember an encyclopedia's worth of instructions before I hit 'Start'.

This is one of the advantages of the flight sim genre. Yes, study will make you a much better pilot, but it is possible to start up a 747, point it down the runway, open the throttles gently and get airborne without any further instruction. You may well have real problems going anywhere or landing it without some background knowledge and study, but you do at least have it in the air !

It should be possible to produce a reasonably simple game with graphics that match modern computers without developing a game that takes 10 minutes to load and then requires running through a dozen option screens before you are actually playing it.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

Yes, as far as I'm concerned the best games are the ones that can be played with only about a dozen easy-to-memorise keypresses without having to keep looking at the manual..:)

Luckily some big games like Armed Assault are very flexible and you can choose what level of complexity you want to play at, and also build small easy-to-handle scenarios yourself. 

Same with big flight sims like FSX, hardcore simmers like to go through all the proper cockpit drills by pressing buttons and throwing switches, waiting for air traffic clearance etc, and after about 20 minutes they're at last airborne whereas I just boot up the game, slam open the throttle and I'm away with no delay, waggling the joystick to my hearts content..:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users