Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE hangs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wolfpackfans

wolfpackfans

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I am working on a strange issue on someone's laptop. When IE opens, it takes a while to load the home page, and if I try to open any other URL via the same tab or a new tab, it just churns forever. The page seems to display, but the dropdown menus like tools or other links can't be clicked. It is even hard to close the page. Interestingly enough, Firefox and Chrome operate crisply and flawlessly. I upgraded IE from v9 to 10, which didn't resolve anything. I uninstalled IE and reinstalled it, no changes. I've run a series of malware tools and antivirus tools and nothing seems to resolve the issue. I'm wondering if you have any hints as to how to get IE functioning like chrome and firefox?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I upgraded IE from v9 to 10, which didn't resolve anything.

Hi -
Please advise on the computer Make and Model - Now please tell us what OS is used (XP / Vista / Win7) and Service pack installed -

Thank You -

#3 wolfpackfans

wolfpackfans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Toshiba Satellite A505 running Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

#4 wolfpackfans

wolfpackfans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Another interesting observation is that when I try to put IE in full screen mode, it is like the window refuses to open in full screen and actually has a screen image overlay of itself. In other words, it looks like the screen tries to repaint itself with the same image. Then I cannot reduce it down or close the IE window.

#5 wolfpackfans

wolfpackfans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I've run a bunch of tools against it: super antispyware, mcafee, rkill, roguekiller, adwcleaner, mbar, mbam, rootkit remover, avg, minitoolbox. Super antispyware found about 83 infections, but other than that, everything seems to be clean. I even uninstalled mcafee which had recently been renewed and seemed to be about the time the lady reported having internet issues (as she described the browser issue), and since the laptop was so bogged down, I wanted to make sure mcafee wasn't corrupt. So, I uninstalled mcafee, installed avg free, ran a scan which came up clean. Then I uninstalled avg and reinstalled mcafee after the super antispyware scan cleaned things up, and the laptop performance is excellent and very crisp. The only dog is IE. I undid all toolbars and add-ons to IE and still had the same issue. The lady uses finance.yahoo.com as her home page and accesses her att.net email via the yahoo mail link. Using chrome and firefox this works flawlessly and the pages load instantly, except for IE where the pages take forever to load. The only page that seems to load ok in IE is google.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users