Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Stay With 98SE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 monitor

monitor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:31 PM

Hi,
I'm an old (literally and figuratively) 98SE user. :flowers:

My dilemma:
I have two older model Winbook laptops -fraternal but not identical twins :trumpet: and it is getting close to 'that time' when I need to consider a new system.

Here are the considerations:
-I really want to stay with 98SE and my current set-up but I'd like the advantages of USB 2.0 and a good multi-card reader. - anyone have a new machine using this combination? Any problems?

-The second consideration is pc vs. laptop. I know it is less expensive to go pc, especially if I get a CRT monitor ... but the thought of lifting one of those monsters again makes these old bones ache! -just can't see paying the high cost of an LCD.
Anyone else dealt with this one?

Finally, I should mention that my Winbook laptops are refurbs that I got a couple of years ago when refurbs. were reliable. (Have had nothing but poor experience with a couple of refurbs this past year and will not consider that route again).

Have lots of experience with computers over the years and, perhaps, that gets in the way. Trying to stay open minded, frugal, and keeping it simple is a challenge these days.

Thanks in advance for your comments. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:05 PM

I have a new machine with USB 2.0 that I use for both my card reader and ipod and its lightning fast. Its really a great choice for those people who do not want to invest in firewire or do not have firewire compatible cards. It has actually been shown in some studies that 2.0 is almost as fast as firewire, though some disagree.

As you said, you will always get more bang for your buck, dollar to dollar, with a pc over a laptop. These days you can get a very good, and affordable pc with a flat screen.

It is really up to your choices...do you use the laptops as desktops or do you travel with them etc?

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

:thumbsup: to BC

Here are the considerations:
-I really want to stay with 98SE and my current set-up but I'd like the advantages of USB 2.0 and a good multi-card reader. - anyone have a new machine using this combination? Any problems?

If you would like to stay with 98SE, then with your new computer purchase, you can always have a dual-boot system. Granted, you may need to purchase full versions of 98SE, and it may be difficult to find. I am not saying that it can not be done, but if you was considering copying it from one of your other computers, then you may become frustrated quickly.

Another option around that would be to get an external hard drive reader. Some laptop HDs may not be compatible with the reader, so is a chance that it would not work. If it does work, then you could place your old one in the reader, change a setting in the BIOS that will allow it to boot from it, and set it up for dual boot.

As far as USB 2.0 and multi-card readers go they are excellant devices. WIN 98 SE may be limited on them, but using XP (which I currently have), each slot has its own drive letter (starting with F: until finished), and it will show up as removable drives. When you insert media, then it will show up in the appropriate drive letter.

-The second consideration is pc vs. laptop. I know it is less expensive to go pc, especially if I get a CRT monitor ... but the thought of lifting one of those monsters again makes these old bones ache! -just can't see paying the high cost of an LCD.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and what you primarily do with your computer. LCD monitors are light weight, but some say thay are not good for high-graphic games. CRT monitors are much cheaper, but they take up much more room on your desk.

If you can afford the extra price, your computer will not have anything higher then a 64 MG video card, and you do not play any graphic intense game, then go with the LCD. If you want to increase your video card over 64 MG, so that you can play the graphic intense games, then go with a CRT.

You can also go the route that I have, and use both of them with dual screens. In most cases, it is easier to get a video card that already have dual outputs, but there are other ways around it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:16 PM

Take note of Dell now offering Dell DIM 2400 with memory upgrade for $399.00--I bought this Dell about 9 months ago--it does allright except I wish I had more Ram--free mem upgrade makes it a winner in my humble estimate. There are many that will put down this machine for no good reason!! :flowers: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#5 monitor

monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:33 PM

Hi and thanks for the welcome...

I've got a new WIN98SE OEM version to install. I also really like 98lite. The company is now called LitePC and also offers a lite version for 2000 and XP. Gives you a lot of control over your operating system and enables you to "switch off" options that you don't need or use... which is great for us 'no frills' folks.

I'll still stay open and look around for a bit. Hoping to hold off a new purchase until the first of the year ... but ... you never know. Just trying to be prepared.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

#6 ms-fixit

ms-fixit

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:20 AM

Another option you might want to consider........

You could think about buying a laptop BUT also getting a regular keyboard and monitor (or LCD flat panel screen) to use WITH the laptop. Most knocks against laptops are from using the cramped keyboard, those little stubby nub or track pad mice thingies, or staring down at a small screen (bad ergonomics & harder to read as ones eyes get older). You can usually plug in regular keyboards, normal mice, or monitors into a laptop for use at home, and then just disconnect them when you travel. Just check when you buy the laptop that the extra connections are there, or that you can use a USB hub to add a few things(keyboards & mice, webcams, etc.). It sure beats crawling under the desk to fight with all the cables before you start lifting and moving a full computer.

#7 fatdove52

fatdove52

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:35 PM

[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]
Hi folks,
I appreciate this site/forum muchly. Like "monitor" I'm near the end on my Win98SE machine life. I'm looking at desktop replacement laptops and may add keyboard/mouse combo for home/office use. But unlike "monitor", my experience with computers is not tremendously extensive. I've had this computer since '99 , it is first machine that worked , and I've gotten used to the operating system. I've had a passle of fun learning to navigate and learning to do productivity work, but now is close to time to try another model. I have some small experience with WinXP Home and found it hard to get around. I don't think I'd be able to use the various productivity software titles I like on WinXP Lite or am I wrong ? How about some info on Win2000 OS for novice level. I can still find computers in box that come pre-loaded with Win2000 or are the WinXP(SP2) bells and whistles worth the plunge ?
No rush on an answer, I might be able to squeak by for another six months or so.

Thanks a ton and a half.
:thumbsup:
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=green]Any day ya got a pulse is a great day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users