Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup File Storage Options For Win98

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bethanyjo

bethanyjo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

Okay, don't laugh, but we have a major dinosaur of a computer at work. We still run Windows 98 (not SE), with a Pentium II processor and 64MB of RAM. We don't have a backup system in place right now and, considering the age of our system, I'd like to figure something out as soon as possible.

We are only using about 1.5GB right now for everything...programs, files, you name it. I'd like to at least back up our Word documents and our bookkeeping files. We do not have a CD-RW, nor a DVD drive. Our floppy disks will not hold all the files we need to back up.

I bought a Sandisk Cruzer Mini yesterday, hoping it would work, but apparently you need at least Windows 98SE, and ours is older than that.

Any ideas on what we could use for relatively cheap back-up? My boss is retiring in the not too distant future (couple of years?), so I'm thinking that getting a new computer system is out of the question.

Do you know of any USB drives or external CD-RWs that might work with a system this old? How about an older Zip drive?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by bethanyjo, 30 March 2006 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hi bethanyjo.
I take it this is a stand alone system? (not on a network)
You can buy an internal cd writer, shipping included for $25.00.
Of course you'll need some blank cd's but they're dirt cheap.
Both combined would probably still be as cheap as that usb drive you bought, depending on how big of one you purchased.
Here is an example of an inexpensive burner that will work with your system.
Do not pay attention to system requirements as that only applies to the Nero burning software that is included. You don't need to use it.
There is a freeware program that requires very little computer power called DeepBurner that you can use instead.
If this system has a highspeed internet connection, you could always upload your files for free at various places or even e-mail them to a system from wich to back up from. Yousendit will let you e-mail files as large as 1.5 gig for free.
Just a couple suggestions. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 30 March 2006 - 03:39 PM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

A non-conventional back up would be to get a couple of google email accounts and email yourself attachments of the data you wish to back up. Besure to leave them on the server. That way you can access them from anywheres.
Not pretty but it will get the job done. If a friend has a burner you can then have them burn the data to disk for you. 1.5gb should take 3 to 5 CDs depending on how you divide the data to be backed up.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 bethanyjo

bethanyjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info, both of you.

I had contemplated e-mailing the files, but truth be told, there are lot of small files, and I thought that might be a bit too much of a pain.

So I am now torn between getting the internal CD burner, or getting a used Zip Drive that I found at Amazon. I supposed CDs would be the better way to go, as the Zip drives have lost a lot of their popularity.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

Start a Tpic in the Hardware Forum listing your computer and the possibles to upgrade. Remeber you can buy a new computer for around $300. You could slave your cirrent drive and drag and drop the current files to a new computer's drive. ALL new computers come with atleast one burner (either CD or DVD).
Food for thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

The cost of Zip drives is incidental compared to the cost of Zip disks. Last time I bought one, the disk was about ten bucks for a 100 MB disk. CD's only cost about 33 cents each. Plus, since most computers have CD-Rom drives, they can be used anywhere.

As to the Sandisk Cruzer, I use mine with Win 98, both first and second editions. You need to download the Win 98 drivers from the Sandisk website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users