Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOT NET CAUSING FREEZING AT BOOT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mohavepc

mohavepc

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes anyway.
Windows needed a repair install because it would freeze during boot at a black screen. I boots into safe mode just fine. Restoring to an earlier time worked until it needed a reboot for a critical unkown update to windows. after the repair install it says it needs to repair dotnet frameworks then says to reboot. apon reboot it is back to freezing again. if I continue without rebooting everything works good except updates which require a reboot to finish the dotnet repair . Please advise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Uninstall all the Net Frameworks from the add-remove,starting with the lowest version.

Most users don't or won't ever use it...........if you have any programs that need it,they'll ask you to install the version that it needs.

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hi,

I've been hesitant to reply due to the fact that dealing with removal and reinstall of .Net can be a pain at best of times. Doing so is a risk and might leave you worse off than you are now.

The last set of MS updates included .Net security patches, one of which damaged my system so I couldn't apply all the updates even after downloading manually. I was able to fix it over a few days of reading and downloading tools but it was hit-and-miss and I was without any .Net for a while until Windows Update started working again. It was as much luck as what I did that got it to properly install again.

Some games and other applications will use .Net as well as a lot of developer tools and languages.

If your going to uninstall .Net you'll need the proper tool and guide found here; https://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx?Redirected=true .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide

You might want to go to the MS download page and/or search for the .Net framework your replacing and download them first. IE: "dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe" or "dotNetFx40_Client_setup.exe" and/or "dotnetfx35setup.exe".

.NET Framework Setup Verification Tool User's Guide is another tool and guide you can use to check things; https://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx?Redirected=true

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool - This can be found here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users