Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System image recovery has deleted my external hard drive partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fuadansari

fuadansari

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

i try to backup my laptop data using system image recovery.. In the process, the system told me that 'the backup could take up to 16 GB of disc space.' So, i just create another partition (17 GB) on my external hard disc as a backup location. The process went smoothly. But unfortunately, all my external hard disc partition has been deleted and there is only one partition (RECOVERY 31.9GB ) that include recovery data is created.. Is it any way that i can apply to get back my deleted partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hi Fuadansari

Can you please tell us the manufacturer and the model of the hard drive that was overwritten.

I've done that process so I think that I understand what happened. Is it an Acer laptop?

The most important thing at this point is that you DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE AFFECTED DRIVE. That means do not format it or do anything that may alter the data that is currently on it.

James

#3 fuadansari

fuadansari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Hi James Litten..

Great to hear from you...

Yes, u're right.. It's Acer laptop... My external hard drive (that was overwritten) manufacturer is Seagate and the model is FreeAgent GoFlex...

So, what should i do next?

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi

There are a couple of ways to attempt to get the data back. It depends on how much risk you wish to take with the data.

I am pretty sure that the process Acer uses involves a 'quick' format so the data is probably still on the drive.

For your situation I would use a paid tool. I often use Restorer Ultimate but you can also use others like Zero Assumption Recovery or GetDataBack. To use any of these you would need to have a separate hard drive with enough free space to hold the files that you want to recover. Then you would run the demo version of the program and if it can recover your files, it will tell you and ask you to pay in order to unlock the program so you can proceed with the recovery. I don't know about the other programs but I'm pretty sure Restorer Ultimate charges $30.

There are other ways to do it but they take a lot more work and time and there is no guarantee of a good result.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users