Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Driver Issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GTT54

GTT54

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

My computer keeps freezing up sporadically. I had it checked for malware through this topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic482537.html/page__p__2954009__fromsearch__1#entry2954009. It appears to be clean. The moderator from that topic believes it is an internal hardware issue. I think it has to do with my internal webcam from what I can see in the device manager. Is there a way to permanently uninstall it. I have an acer aspire one netbook with windows xp. Please advise. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Go to device manager and click on the Acer webcam and disable it. Does it freezes with it disabled?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 GTT54

GTT54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have disabled the webcam but I still have issues. It disappears and then unknown device appears in the device manager sometimes.

I downloaded the program but I am hesitant about publishing it to a unique url.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

Don't worry, the speccy link is not related to any confidential files being revealed. It is a safe program and is used by members here for a long time to view certain hardware information that may point to some possible causes of your freezing problem. :)

Tekken

#5 GTT54

GTT54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I have tried disabling it before and that works but then it disappears and get unknown device.

Here is the link, http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NBcaHhhzrwB1nfTV8GkIiMv . Thanks.

Mod Edit: Fixed link - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

The link is broken...

Tekken

#7 GTT54

GTT54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

There is a period at the end of the link causing the error. When you click the link, just delete the period and then hit enter. It will work then. Sorry about that.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

Please boot to safemode and try running it for a couple of hours and see if it freezes also randomly. You can use USBDeview 32 bit to check on certain unwanted devices installed.
Looking on the speccy report shows :

Total memory slots: 2
Used memory slots: 2

Memory
Type:
DDR2
Size: 1012 MBytes
Channels #: Single
DRAM Frequency:
266.1 MHz

Number Of SPD Modules:
Slot #1
Type: DDR2
Size: 512 MBytes
Manufacturer:
Hyundai Electronics
Max Bandwidth:
PC2-5300 (333 MHz)

Nothing follows or no slot#2 for the other 512 Mb RAM stick. Can you try reseatting firmly the RAM sticks first then run speccy again?

CPU
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz: 56 C

The maximum temperature here is 90 C. If this temp. reading is constant without any programs running, how much more if its on heavy usage. Check the air coming out from the side vents. Do you feel any hot air coming out?

Used Space: 29.6GB (21%)
Free Space: 115GB (79%)

Manage or free some available space but first backup your files by external storage just in case.

Tekken

#9 GTT54

GTT54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

I can't reseat the ram sticks because it is tricky with this netbook. I would have to remove the keyboard and I do not feel comfortable doing that. I generally do not feel hot air coming out of the vents. Why do I need to free up space? I have a lot of free space right now.

I can try safe mode but the freezing up is sporadic. I can have the computer on all day and it will not freeze and then there are times that I just turn it on and it freezes. I think it is the webcam which is built into the monitor because I have noticed when I have moved the monitor or close the lid, it has frozen up.

Is there a way to uninstall the webcam and prevent it from being reinstalled automatically when I reboot. I have disabled it through USBDeview before but it does not seem to work.

I appreciate your help on this.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Please post the computer model next time.

I have noticed when I have moved the monitor or close the lid, it has frozen up.

Is it on sleep mode and waking up that you were referring to?

Tekken

#11 GTT54

GTT54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

It is the acer aspire one ZG5that is attached. I did not mean an external monitor. I shut off the feature which puts it in sleep mode when you close the lid. Closing the lid does nothing.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

James have hinted me regarding your suspicious webcam freezing connection problem.

If he wants to try to see if the webcam is the problem he can do what I do and put a piece of paper over the lens and cover it with a piece of black electrical tape. That way it would not be sensing any movement.

There is an online manual in disassembling the laptop (page 43) http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%20one.pdf
A Video which could help you visualize things a bit. Taking out the motherboard and CPU from the equation would just lead to a RAM stick (faulty or loose), network card and the webcam as you mentioned.

Tekken

#13 GTT54

GTT54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I put tape covering the webcam.  Thanks for the manual but I do not feel comfortable taking the computer apart.  My guess is that the connection to the webcam is loose.  I guess when I move the computer sometimes, it causes the computer to freeze up.  Is that what you think?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

The possiblity of checking the hardware problem is opening up and checking or reseatting the loose memory stick, hard drive or some other connections. I would not think that running it in safemode would help as its more of a hardware problem obviously. Anyway, the high CPU reading is also taking a notice that means it needs to be taken to a repair shop.

Edited by jhayz, 10 February 2013 - 08:34 PM.

Tekken

#15 GTT54

GTT54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Why do you think the CPU reading is high? I am hesistant to take it to the repair shop because I do not think the cost to fix it is worth it since it is 4 years old at this point. What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users