Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing New Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mjwhaley

mjwhaley

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

After all the problems that I had with my recent PC Build (and my desperate need to get back on my feet PC-wise) I am going to have to purchase a desktop. I have narrowed it down to two and ask you opinion on both and which to choose. They are:

HP PAvillion Media Center a1450n

• AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+
• 250GB 7200RPM hard drive
• 2GB of DDR SDRAM
• Double-layer DVD±R/RW
• LightScribe-enabled
• 9-in-1 memory card reader
Tons of ports: With seven USB 2.0, two FireWire, one digital audio-out and two PS/2 ports, you’ll be able to add all of your favorite peripherals.
Onboard graphics through ATI

Gateway GT5032

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
250GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
1 GB of DDR SDRAM
Double-layer DVD +/- R/RW
ATI Theater 550 Pro TV tuner with 3D comb technology and Media Center remote
Micro-BTX cooling technology for improved reliability and quieter operation (does anyone know how this is in comparison to the ATX cases and cooling?)
Onboard graphics through NVIDA

This is going to be a fun gaming computer, but also a work computer. The games that will be mostly played are: World of Warcraft, Dungeon Siege 2, Doom 3. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:20 AM

If you're going to use the computers for gaming, I didn't notice a graphics card....

Could you post some links to the manufacturers websites (or whatever place/store you're purchasing from) so that we may check out the specs on the machines?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 mjwhaley

mjwhaley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

I have a graphics card already, its the only thing from the attempted PC build that is not getting returned. It is a GeForce 73000 GS.

Here are the links:

HP: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howToGetIt....3186&oid=147839

Gateway: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1130986103551

Thanks again!

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:45 AM

I was gonna say, that if you were building a computer, "why did you post links to an HP and Gateway comp?" Then I realized that you are purchasing one, not building one. I still need to wake up. :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

Before you do this, be aware that many commercial computer builds do not include such things as an AGP or PCI Express slot for graphics cards. Both of these computers have graphics on the motherboard. Unless I could see the motherboards, I couldn't tell you how upgradeable they are. The Gateway does have a PCI Express 16 slot, so your card should work in it, but I don't know about the HP. The purpose of the design of BTX was to make the interior of the computer, including memory and processor, easier to cool. The motherboard is on the opposite side of the case from the standard ATX formfactor.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

I agree with Herk. I'd go with the gateway so that I could upgrade to a pci-e graphics card. The onboard graphics will slow down your machine when it comes to gaming.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 mjwhaley

mjwhaley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

Both the gateway and the hp have the capability to add the PCI-E graphics card. The HP's onboard Graphics card is an nVida GeForce 6150LE 256 MB. Here is a better specification for the HP http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/147839...ication.do#tabs

Here is what I had on the computer I attempted to build that when not randomly freezing, played all my games just fine.
3800+ AMD Athlon 64 X2
nVida GeForce 7300 GS
500w PSU
2x512 mb DDR SDRAM
120GB 7200RPM HD
180GB 7200RPM HD

(The two hard drives are mine from a previous computer that I have built.) Everything else has already been RMA'd with NewEgg for return. But, my games all played without flaw on this unit.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

I would personnaly go with the HP. It's got more RAM and a bigger case but make sure that it has the appropriate AGP or PCI-Express port.

BTW you can go down to a local store (if you live in canada like a Staples) and check out the computer and ask questions about it (even if you have to correct him alot... like I had to do) and then if you like it say that you will think about :thumbsup: and come home and buy it off the net at 20% less :flowers:.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

Just checked specs at hp the 1450 has one available pci e x16 slot

the only thing that worries me is the power supply capacity nowhere can I find this at the hp web site.

maybe a salesperson at circuit city
can open the case so you can find out what power supply this machine has.

Edited by oldf@rt, 30 March 2006 - 09:36 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users