Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Hangs at boot after OS reinstall via another pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nashyboyslim

nashyboyslim

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hi folks,

I've just re-installed XP Home onto the infected HD of an Old Toshiba Portege P3500 these machines do .. NOT have;-

1;- Optical Disc Drive

or

2;- BIOS with ability to boot from USB

Toshiba had already told me its Far Too Old for Recovery Floppy Disc's and trying to use the PLOP option over a network blew me away ( even if I could have found the right media ).

So I've taken HD out and used another pc for the re-install having saved the original Drivers to USB Stick .... however having replaced the HD back into the Toshiba it now hangs at safe mode boot option screen??

The Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking/Safe Mode with Command Prompt
all three of these options when attempted hang with last line;-

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

When attempting the "Last Known Good Configuration" and "Start Windows Normally" the machine hangs at Blank Black Screen.

Should I have installed these "Saved Drivers" in the "System" folder or the "i386" folder or should I be doing something else entirely?

Can I add that this HD works fine in the "Other" machine.

Many thanx in advance,
Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Are you able to connect an external CD drive to the computer?

If so you may be able to install windows using this method: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994#method5
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

You cannot install Windows on an hd in one pc, move it to another, and expect it to boot. 99.9 times out of 100 it will not.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

You cannot install Windows on an hd in one pc, move it to another, and expect it to boot. 99.9 times out of 100 it will not.

Secifically what Allan is referring to is this...

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it in another computer which you are going to boot from the drive you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 nashyboyslim

nashyboyslim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi Guy's'

Thanx for your replies, firstly I haven't got the correct PCMCIA external CD Drive and even if I did according to Toshiba recovery floppy disc's are not available for a machine of this age.

So I made a judgement call based on what's available - ... looks like, sounds like I've foparred .. so guess I'm looking for a work around solution .... please.

regards,
chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users