Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard advice, please...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi, I have purchased most of what I need to build a new gaming/photo editing machine (that's basically all I do on it)... except for motherboard, memory and CPU. I have a nice full tower case, high wattage good quality power supply, decent graphics card (XFX Radeon HD 7750), etc.

My hope is to buy a new MB & then memory... and build this using my older AMD Phenom II 965... until I can upgrade to a better CPU.

But this leads to some questions...

Are there motherboards that will take this 965 AM3 CPU and let me upgrade to the current AMD FX 8 core AM3+ CPUs ?
(I know there are motherboards that will accept either AM3 or AM3+ but am I missing something here?)

I was considering moving to Intel, just because I haven't built an Intel PC before and wondered how much their performance differs.... but I really am satisfied with my AMD 965, and think the smartest thing to do is what I proposed above. But please feel free to point out reasons I should wait and go with Intel.

AMD vs. Intel
MB brand preferences (Gigabyte, ASUS, etc)

Thank you for any and all help.

Edited by TNF, 29 January 2013 - 01:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

The majority of AM3+ motherboards basically support the Phenom II series CPUs, so there shouldn't be any concern there. How much do you want to spend on a new motherboard?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

The majority of AM3+ motherboards basically support the Phenom II series CPUs, so there shouldn't be any concern there. How much do you want to spend on a new motherboard?

Well... I'd love to spend under $100. But at the same time want to future-proof my PC, so are there reasons I might want to pay more?

I'm not the sort of gamer that needs to play Crysis 3 at the highest framerate, but... would like to play Battlefield 3/MW3/etc... at frame rates that don't leave me wanting more. If that makes sense. In other words I don't need top of the line, but I don't want to feel like I need to upgrade in a year or 2 (I'm talking about motherboard only).

I saw this one here for $90 (after $10 rebate): GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3

But are there things I should know about brands?
Or again, things I don't know, that would make me want to pay more?

I really appreciate the advice.

Edited by TNF, 30 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

That motherboard should be fine for the long run, it's the graphics card is where you should be worry about for the performance of your games.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

That motherboard should be fine for the long run, it's the graphics card is where you should be worry about for the performance of your games.

Understood. I recently went from a 5550 to the 7750 and I have no issues in lagging or graphics that I feel are lacking (in the things that I do, anyway).

Any opinions on the brands? Gigabyte vs. MSI vs. ASUS vs. ASRock ?

Also... are there certain "features" that I should look for in a MB ?

Thanks again, Killer.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

The 7750 is a fine card for it's price. Personally i buy from either Asus or Gigabyte and the alternative option is Asrock and MSI. In terms of features, it would depend on what your exactly looking for in a motherboard.

>Michael 

#7 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

The 7750 is a fine card for it's price. Personally i buy from either Asus or Gigabyte and the alternative option is Asrock and MSI. In terms of features, it would depend on what your exactly looking for in a motherboard.

Ok, thank you for the brand preferences.

I understand my questions are pretty vague. Like "features" on a motherboard, lol.
I will try and learn about the features themselves, and see what may or may not be of interest to me.
I just have no idea on some of this, and this has always been the best forum to get the help.

You and DJBPace07 have been very helpful to me in the past.

Like always, I do really appreciate this.
I will start investigating those brands, and I welcome any further comments from you or anyone else.

Thank you !

Edited by TNF, 30 January 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Personally for me, if i was in the market for a new motherboard for my current setup i would be looking at one that has a beefy circuitry so i can achieve better overclocks and one that has Thunderbolt port for future storage devices when it becomes mainstream. Me and DJ we go a long way back :lol: Also sorry about the delayed post, i was in a school assembly.

Edited by killerx525, 31 January 2013 - 12:20 AM.

>Michael 

#9 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Personally for me, if i was in the market for a new motherboard for my current setup i would be looking at one that has a beefy circuitry so i can achieve better overclocks and one that has Thunderbolt port for future storage devices when it becomes mainstream. Me and DJ we go a long way back :lol: Also sorry about the delayed post, i was in a school assembly.

I looked into the Thunderbolt setup after reading your reply. Very interesting, but seems at this point still very expensive. $190'ish, it looks like. I will have to wait for that. As far as "beefier circuitry" I wouldn't know where to begin, lol. I really haven't overclocked before, and not sure I would in the future... as I just don't really know the details.

I see you use AMD CPUs... do you see any reason I might want to consider Intel? I can if there is a good enough reason, but as I stated earlier I was planning to pull my current AMD Phenom II 965 forward... for the time being.
And of course Intel is a more expensive way to go. I just figured in time I would upgrade to one of the AMD FX 8 cores.

Don't apologize for any delays! The advice is always helpful.

Again.. thank you.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Beefier circuitry as the ones that have high Phase Power, nice MOSFET chips etc. Well if you plan to do some heavy encoding or editing then you would consider Intel but for gaming purposes, AMD would be fine. I'm still running on the Phenom II series like you and my advice would be to wait and see if their next CPU which is Steamroller is more competitive with Intel's CPUs.

Edited by killerx525, 31 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users