Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-ROM drive "reads" intermittently

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nowizard

nowizard

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Ok, so here's the low down...

M0le from "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" directed me here for further assistance.
System is apparently clean now, but I am having problems with the CD-ROM drive. (before, as well as after the cleaning)

AFTER RUNNING RogueKiller I lost functionality of both autoplay & autorun.

After running "Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard" and going through the 5 methods in KB330135(The AutoRun feature or the AutoPlay feature does not work when you insert a CD-ROM in the CD drive) I was able to regain functionality of AutoPlay.

I also ran tests on the drive from Dell's Support Center. DVD Linear Seek Test FAILED. I ran the test on commercially made, self made and blank disks.

The drive HL-DT-ST DVD +/- RW GSA-H73N DL should be able to write to DVD+RW, but I cannot. I couldn't even do a backup to CD-RW disks.

Drivers? I'm totally clueless about them. I did a driver update several months ago, but today I'm wondering if it is even the right driver for: 1) my system or 2) for the reading problem. The driver I updated showed as recommended on Dell's download page for my service tag. It was listed under the category of AUDIO and the drive listed is similar, but not exact to what is found listed in "Device Manager".

Device Manager lists driver as version 5.1.2535.0. The update I did was for HLDS GSA-H73N HH DVD +/- RW 16x SATA, firmware C109, driver R158511. Nothing matches between PC and Dell's webpage. This all has me confused. Is the driver I installed just for audio files, thus maybe I need to try updating the driver for the drive itself? Can info drawn for a service tag be different than what is found on the physical machine?

What's strange, too, is that I had this disk failure problem before and found an easy fix after many hours of searching and trial and error. Don't remember what the fix was. Can't find the sheet I printed and can't find that same solution. It does seem to me, though, that the problem was a commonly known problem...either with the hardware itself or within XP. This drive is rarely used. 3 times at the most per year.

Can someone please help to get this drive functioning properly. (Autorun, reading & writing)

Edited by nowizard, 29 January 2013 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Have you tried this drive in another computer? If you can do this it will quickly point out whether this is a software or hardware problem.

The optical drive is a "plug and play" type of device, the drivers for this are native to the operating system. If you haven't tried uninstalling the drivers from the Device Manager I would suggest trying this. Go to the Device Manager (Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager), scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM drives, expand the menu to see your drive, double click on it and click on the Driver tab and uninstall the drivers. When you restart the computer the installation wizard will recognize this as "found new hardware" and assign the proper drivers for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I uninstalled the driver, rebooted and retested the drive. Although, on first attempt, it was successful in reading 4 disks I'm not holding my breathe quite yet that it will continue.

I tried to burn a disk twice. 1st attempt was burning a file using Roxio Creator DE and the 2nd attempt was burning an ISO file using FreeISOBurner. Both failed.

Error received from FreeISOBurner was "Hardware Error 25600". I did not write down the exact error from Roxio. It suggested a couple possible problems. CD scratched or drive not working properly.

I don't recall ever seeing an internal drive having a USB plug, yet it's considered to be a plug-n-play device, correct? Does this mean the drive has a USB plug? If not, how do I test the drive with another machine?

Please advise..

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

My solution would be to buy a new drive, $20-25 (the quoted model is SATA). DVD drives are throwaway items these days and they don't last forever. That eliminates half the possible issues. Take out the old one, slip in the new and the PC will automatically detect new hardware. Alternatively buy a USB external drive since the drive is rarely used and can be shared between computers. As dc3 said, the drivers are generic so that is really a dead end. If the old drive turns out to be OK, keep as a spare.

You can also set Autoplay on drives if you install TweakUI.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

I don't recall ever seeing an internal drive having a USB plug, yet it's considered to be a plug-n-play device, correct? Does this mean the drive has a USB plug? If not, how do I test the drive with another machine?

Plug and play is not exclusive to USB connections. In this case it means that the drivers needed for the device will be native,eg. found in the Windows operating system.

This definition for this error code like most of Microsoft's is "a little vague", the implication is that there may be corrupted files. There are instances where files are damaged in the process of cleaning it of infections, so this sounds about right. To correct this I would suggest running sfc /scannow (System File Checker).

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

During this scan you may be prompted to insert your installation disc in the DVD/CD drive, if you have this disc you will want to have it available before you start the scan. If you don't have this disc and are prompted for it you will need to follow the *instructions for locating the i386 file.

To initiate this scan go to Start> Run and type in sfc /scannow and then press enter.

If files are found during this scan which need to be replaced you may be prompted to insert your installation disc, do so at that time. If it doesn't ask you for the disc this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files. In the event the the system asks you for the disc, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

*If you do not have this disc you will need to locate a directory on your system which is named i386. You will need to search for this in the registry, to do this type in regedit in the Run box and then press Enter, you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Posted Image

To find this you will need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see the list of HKEY options, please notice the arrow to the left of the option, when you click on this arrow the menu will expand and you will be able to find the next step "SOFTWARE", expand the menu on this option and proceed till you reach "Setup". Under "Setup" you will need to find "SourcePath". The SourcePath probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:\, to do this double click on the SourcePath, a box will open where you will make this change by typing in C:\.

Restart your computer now and try running the scan again.

Edited by dc3, 02 February 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Oh, how I'm in total agreement to having corrupted files. It seems to me getting them all corrected is quite a daunting task, possibly even impossible. I still think the registry could use some tiding up, but M0le lost internet connection (apparently) and another moderator had closed the post, thus we never got to finish. Could remnants of failed uninstallers and/or associated programs cause corrupted files?

Corrupted files, namely uninstallers, is where I first started. That lead to landing in the Security Forum for closer review of the system overall. Details can be found here. Of course, malware was discovered and cleaning began. Is it possible that some of the tools used during cleaning could have messed up files affecting the drive? Hate being suspicious, but on the other hand it never hurts to ask, right?

I ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk back then and some fixes were implemented. I guess it wouldn't hurt to run it again. If I remember correctly, it was not an easy task. The prompts didn't give an option to select a source, such as the i386 file. It was locked to read from the disk drive only. I've been looking into making a (crap, forgot the term) system disk including SP3 or at the very least burning the SP3 ISO file to disk, but have not yet been successful in doing so. Reason being, my drive won't work or I'm doing something wrong. Ugh! Going to try on a different machine for the latter, but the first of course wouldn't be correct. (I believe) NOTE: My original disks include SP2, not 3.

I've had limited time on my hands lately, so please bare with me. I'll review your post/suggestion on running sfc /scannow in greater detail tomorrow and if all goes well, will have a follow up post for you. Upon quick review, you may have the answer to a previous question I had had that went unanswered...LOL.

Thanks for your help...and patience.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

I ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk back then and some fixes were implemented. I guess it wouldn't hurt to run it again. If I remember correctly, it was not an easy task. The prompts didn't give an option to select a source, such as the i386 file. It was locked to read from the disk drive only.

The hdd is locked, the option is to run the chkdsk after a restart, this has nothing to do with sfc /scannow.

I've been looking into making a (crap, forgot the term) system disk including SP3 or at the very least burning the SP3 ISO file to disk,

I'm not sure I'm following this, but I would guess that you are referring to slip-streaming the combination of the SP3 and the operating system.

I still believe you should run the sfc /scannow, this it the first step. If this doesn't resolve the issue there are other things to try.

#8 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

PLEASE ADVISE on the following for future reference ----> Slip-streaming is the term I was trying to remember. Maybe I'm not understanding its purpose correctly.

My dilemma is the Dell provided original operating disk (XP SP2) doesn't work with sfc /scannow. If I'm prompted to insert it I get the following error message: "The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD into your CD-ROM drive."

That stands to reason being that SP3 was downloaded/installed from Automatic Updates.

The only workaround I know is to uninstall SP3, run sfc /scannow to get files fixed, then reinstall SP3. That might not be possible in another year.

The popup window does not give an option to direct the utility to C:/i386 to search for files. So is slip-streaming what I need to do? Will a disk with only the service pack files work? Or is there another option I'm totally unaware of? How do we get around the error message??

As for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup it's already set at C:\. That's what is listed under the "Data" heading.

Insight on the above concern would be greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup: Well, that's for future reference. As for the current scan, it ran with no problems, no fixes needed. I await your next command...

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

A good example of slipstreaming would be to combine SP3 with your XP installation disc so that you will have the latest SP. If you ever need to do this, you can find instructions for this here.

The good news is that we know that your files are in good shape, time to move on.

Try burning at a slower speed.

Try another programs, I would suggest ImgBurn.

#10 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

I still believe you should run the sfc /scannow, this it the first step. If this doesn't resolve the issue there are other things to try.

1st step was completed, per instructions. NO CHANGES were made to the system, thus the problem still exists.

What is the next step you were going to try?

#11 nowizard

nowizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Being that there has been no reply ... no follow through with this topic since February 9th, please close the topic.

Thanks for the efforts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users