Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Sorry but I have another question and I don't mean to be a pain in the neck.On my other post I got the answer I was looking for.I'll go over it again and try to explain it right.A 200gig.partition has 7 on it,a 50gig.partition has 8 on it.I booted up with the 8 installation disc and went from there.It asked me what partition so I chose the 200gig.partition but I don't know what to do with the other partition with 8 on it.Unless I missed something I will have 8 on both partitions.I hope I explained it right.Thanx for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Sorry but I have another question and I don't mean to be a pain in the neck.On my other post I got the answer I was looking for.I'll go over it again and try to explain it right.A 200gig.partition has 7 on it,a 50gig.partition has 8 on it.I booted up with the 8 installation disc and went from there.It asked me what partition so I chose the 200gig.partition but I don't know what to do with the other partition with 8 on it.Unless I missed something I will have 8 on both partitions.I hope I explained it right.Thanx for the help.

Why did you boot up with the installation disk ?
If you had W7 on one partition and W8 on another partition you should have started the computer normally (without reinstalling the installation disk)
You would then have had a dual booting system to choose from.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

if you install win8 to the 200gig win7 partition ,and don't get it right ,you could /will lose all win7 content , personal files and such

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sorry,guess I didn't explain right or you didn't read my other post.I installed 8 on a 50 gig partition to try it.Now I want to just install 8 and not dual boot.My hard drive is 250 gigs.Now it's 200 for windows 7 and 50 for windows 8.I want to only install windows 8 on the 250 gig hard drive.Hope that clears it up a little.

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Probably the best way to go around this:

1. Boot into the Windows 7 partition
2. Delete the 8 partition under Disk Management
3. Insert the Windows 8 disc and do an upgrade from the running 7 installation

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thank-you for the advice,will give it a try.

#7 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Am I missing something here? Just do a clean install of Windows 8, and during that process, delete all existing partitions, then simply click NEXT and let the installation create the proper partition structure automatically. You will most likely end up with a 350MB system partition and the rest will be allocated to your C drive.

Edited by anyrepli, 27 April 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#8 techhum

techhum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

Insert the Win 8 DVD it'll show you what to do there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users