Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop won't power up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cllopezm

cllopezm

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Hello guys at Bleepingcomputer,

A friend of mine has a laptop that won't power up. It's an HP G61. The thing is, you power it up and the leds start blinking, the blinking pattern matches "a faulty processor". It never completes the POST. So we bought a processor and changed it. (I can do a little maintenance.) The thing didn't power up and he took the computer to another guy, who plugged her in and it powered up by itself. It worked for a few days and then, when the battery was completely depleted, the thing didn't start up again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys. This is a though problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Did you try replacing the CMOS/RTC battery?

A weak battery may result in erroneous error messages about system components, IME.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

A friend of mine has a laptop that won't power up. It's an HP G61. The thing is, you power it up and the leds start blinking, the blinking pattern matches "a faulty processor".

What was the pattern and specifically what LEDs were blinking?

The thing didn't power up and he took the computer to another guy, who plugged her in and it powered up by itself. It worked for a few days and then, when the battery was completely depleted, the thing didn't start up again.

Are you sure that the battery and power supply are working correctly, i.e the power supply has the correct amount of voltage output, and the battery is charging?

Edited by dc3, 29 January 2013 - 05:26 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cllopezm

cllopezm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

when I dissassembled it, I checked the battery voltage; the main battery was replaced after 1 year; then the power supply was damaged and didn't get an exact replacement.

So in the end the computer did power up properly but there was a warning after starting Windows correctly, that the charger was delivering insufficient power for this computer.

We never had the chance to check a new battery / pwr src combination because the computer malfunctioned completely. No messages can be seen in the display.

The pattern is one single sequence, two flashes (I was wrong, I checked it against a chronometer) in a 2-second interval, then a 3-second period when the lights go off and then repeats. The lights affected are caps-lock & numlock.

Checking on a light-code table, it says 2 flashes would mean the BIOS is damaged.

Thanks for your help.

maybe I can make it boot up somehow and re-flash the BIOS? Is that possible?

Hmmm by the way, the BIOS has never been flashed.

Thanks.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

You may want to look into changing the CMOS battery.

You will also need to get the proper power supply for this, without it you will still be fishing in the dark.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cllopezm

cllopezm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Ok, then I'll have to suspend this post until I get those replacements. Thanks for your help. Is there any way I can reopen this post? It's gonna take me some time to get the replacements.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Is there any way I can reopen this post?

If you move your pointer over the number of the post (#1 in this instance) found in the upper right corner of a post, click on it and a hyper-link will appear. Just copy this and save it for when you want to go back to the topic. The link to the first post in this topic is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic483392.html/page__view__findpost__p__2960951

#8 cllopezm

cllopezm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks. The power source & battery will take about a month to arrive to the country.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

We will still be here, let us know when we can be of help.:thumbup2:

#10 cllopezm

cllopezm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users