Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"USB Latency" Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aceofhrts97

Aceofhrts97

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hello everyone, I am a slightly above average PC-knowledge user. I recently (with the help of a friend) put together my own PC. I've gone through several high-end laptops for gaming and after they all fried I moved to a PC. Since I made this PC, I've noticed that when I'm running programs at the same time, the USB sound devices and my mouse have noticeable choppiness or lag. I can be running a game with firefox up and skype in a call and the mouse will be choppy at points, and if I add a download to the mix it becomes much worse. I've talked with a few people about it and done google searches with no results, and come to the conclusion that it's either a fault USB hub on my motherboard or not enough processing power. Could anyone provide me with some insight as to how I would find out exactly what this is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

If your sound card has/supports an ASIO driver that may help. You seem to be trying to do a lot at the same time. I suppose that's not an issue if you have the power and speed.

Edit: I'm not the best person to help because I have a 2nd cheap PC that does all the donkey work while I work only on immediate tasks on my main cheap PC.

You really don't give much information about what is going on, CPU, bandwidth being used for the Internet, write rates for the HDD etc. No information on USB version, HDDs. Even for someone with similar grade equipment, how can they tell your system capabilities? Hopefully someone will request you run Speccy and post the report.

If your mouse is USB, it should have highest priority in its hub even if there are other devices. If it is slow, then it is most likely being affected by things outside USB.

You don't even mention what devices are on USB. You need to spread USB devices out so they are not all on one hub. If you go to Device Manager and change View to "Devices by Connection" and expand the USB stuff (expand PC first), you can see exactly what is on each hub.

Edited by Nanobyte, 29 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#3 Aceofhrts97

Aceofhrts97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

If your sound card has/supports an ASIO driver that may help. You seem to be trying to do a lot at the same time. I suppose that's not an issue if you have the power and speed.

Edit: I'm not the best person to help because I have a 2nd cheap PC that does all the donkey work while I work only on immediate tasks on my main cheap PC.

You really don't give much information about what is going on, CPU, bandwidth being used for the Internet, write rates for the HDD etc. No information on USB version, HDDs. Even for someone with similar grade equipment, how can they tell your system capabilities? Hopefully someone will request you run Speccy and post the report.

If your mouse is USB, it should have highest priority in its hub even if there are other devices. If it is slow, then it is most likely being affected by things outside USB.

You don't even mention what devices are on USB. You need to spread USB devices out so they are not all on one hub. If you go to Device Manager and change View to "Devices by Connection" and expand the USB stuff (expand PC first), you can see exactly what is on each hub.

The only reason I didn't really specify is because I thought someone may have had the problem and would know what to ask about. I've had several PC setups and this is the first time I've ever had this problem. I ran a Speccy report, so if it'll help with a solution I'll leave it here. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QNV4MUtn5ZdXEFjg1SyOHVt

Edited by Aceofhrts97, 29 January 2013 - 03:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users