Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP will not accept product key

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blufx

Blufx

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

HP DX2450 Microtower. This system comes with HP branded Windows XP install disk and a restore disk(among others). I wanted to perform a repair install on XP. Inserted the HP restore disk, system reported it sees a valid restore disk and ask for the Windows install disk. I put in the HP Windows XP disk, when it got to "install Windows" , I chose "repair an existing XP installation". When it finished installing, it ask for the product ID. I looked on the CD, in the i386 folder/unattend.txt, bottom line is the product ID. When I put in this key, it tells me it's not a valid key. Now I'm stuck. How can this not be a valid ID when it's on the same disk used to install Windows, and what can I do now?

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Often the product key is on a stick attached to the computer.

Posted Image
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

This system comes with HP branded Windows XP install disk and a restore disk(among others).

Hi -
Have you "recently purchased" this computer or have you had it since new, or reasonably new ??
If you have recently purchased the computer, did those CDs come from the last owner, and were they in "sealed packs" ??

Thank You -

#4 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Solved! Hiren's boot cd has the tool to find the CD key

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

#5 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

The key given in unnattend.txt is only an example to show system administrators how to create an automated install disk. It is not a valid key.

It would have been ideal if you had recovered the key from your computer before you started the repair install. This is one which is common across all of the manufacturer's machines. This one does not requuire activation. You next option is to use the key on the licence sticker HP placed on the computer case. This is an unique key and does require activation.

#6 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

Thanks Uncle Rim,
I found the correct CD key using Hiren's boot CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users