Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 builtbymusic

builtbymusic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hello, I have recently bought a new sound card, the asus Xonar, I had to move my graphics card into a lower slot, as it was covering the PCIE 1.0 slot I needed, after installing the sound card and booting the computer i had a problem with my graphics, I could only get a max res of 1024 not 1080 and had huge black borders, so I took the sound card out and put the graphics card back in the original slot, after some fiddling I got the picture back to normal, but now I have no sound at all! I have triple checked that the cable is in the right port, I have checked to see that the correct sound device is picked. through control panel and sound. however when i click test i can hear the test sound but only very very faintly, that is the only sound i can get. I have tried to system restore and checked bios, i'm at a end of what to do? could it be a hardware problem now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Did it work before you moved it to another slot?

#3 builtbymusic

builtbymusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

Yeah everything was working perfectly fine. It just stopped working after I moved things about. I really don't understant what could have happened.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

The only things I can suggest are very basic.

Go to Control Panel. Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager. Expand Sound, video and game controllers. Highlight your sound card, right click, choose Uninstall. After the uninstall reboot your computer. Reinstall the drivers from the disk that came with the card or from the manufacturers website. If you use the website I suggest you find the drivers BEFORE you uninstall. Save the driver file to your desktop.

If that doesn't work:
Open the case and make sure the card is firmly seated in the slot.
Make sure the speakers are plugged into the sound card instead of on board sound.
Open up a music file and play it. Remove the speaker from the port and try it in the other spots to see if by some chance it is in the wrong place.
Go to Control Panel. Look for something associated with your sound card. If you see it open it and look to see if you can change any settings. This should be done while a music file or youtube video is playing.

What operating system are you using?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users