Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Might Be An Odd Question But Ill Ask It Anyway

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:53 PM

i recently heard that a computer without a firewall can be invaded in nearly 6 seconds by spyware,hackers, and etc... I have dsl and have norton. I was wondering as long as i dont have a browser open can i turn off norton or should i just leave it on? I was wondering this because i play alot of online games and i believe norton causes me too lag alittle. Just looking for feedback/opinions on the matter. Happy spring break. Woot no classes.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:22 AM

No. The browsers have little to do with attackes from port intruders, which I would bet that is what you heard about. You should have 4 layers of protection, and none of hem should be turned off.

Router with NAT
Antivirus with an active scan and email scanner
Firewall
Antispyware. As much as your system resources can handle. Min. Spybot & Defender.

If I am missing something the other members will chime in directly. Never turn your security off.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

I have been using Webroot Spysweeper and Norton Internet Security for 4 years now. Never once had an attack. I also use the built in firewall in my router, and Spybot. Then to clean my computer, that's another story for another topic.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users