Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Output -Graph Labels Random Characters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wpfast

wpfast

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hello.

System: Windows XP Professional v 2002 SP-3
Printer: Brother HL-4040CN series

I have been printing some lengthy documents from MIT Courseware site that contain charts. The Charts print perfectly, as does the text, but the labels sometimes print gibberish (random characters). This happens per document, ie. all the way through one document; but oddly, another document with what appear same type charts may print perfectly. These are PDF documents. One doc code is D-4691 and this one produced print errors; but D-4347-7 had same type diagrams and labels printed perfectly!

Source: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/sloan-school-of-management/15-988-system-dynamics-self-study-fall-1998-spring-1999/readings/

1st and 2nd PDF...perfect...then 3rd one "Intro to Feedback" printed erroneous random character labels (again, main text printed fine, only chart labels a problem).

Any help appreciated!

wpfast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

When you refer to charts you are referring to the Figures? I could not try printing because I'm out of ink. I did a print preview and it looked OK. If you do a print preview, do the defects appear in that?

I took a look at File/Properties of "Intro to Feedback". There are a number of fonts listed. Could it be that you don't have all the fonts and it's substituting incorrectly? That's a wild guess; I don't have Geneva on my PC. I did not check the fonts on the other PDFs. Mostly likely the same set but you could take a look. Edit: You could install any fonts you don't have. Geneva for instance is freeware.

Along those lines, check out this link about printing as an image. There may be other fixes.

Edited by Nanobyte, 29 January 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#3 wpfast

wpfast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi Nanobyte,

I'm referring to of feedback systems, and the labels that describe them.

I will check the link you sent and thanks!

#4 wpfast

wpfast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Nanobyte, I went to link and I bet I know what I did wrong. These were long documents and I think I closed them out during printing, causing data to corrupt. Will try again and leave the PDF open until print completes! I'll post here if this works. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users