Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 pro upgrade offer expiring

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Currently, Microsoft is offering an upgrade to Windows 8 pro for only $39.99.
I have several questions about what I should do. The answers I get are all over the map. So, I respect the knowledge base here and would like to know your thoughts.

1. My understanding is the offer is expiring January 31, 2013. Is it really going to expire? Or are they just going to extend it it some form, whether that is simply extending the current offers deadline or creating a different, but similar offer.

2. I have an old Compaq notebook computer that runs on XP, service pack 3. I love this computer. It is a basic work horse that doesn't break and just keeps chuggin-along. The hardware can only handle 1G of Ram. I ran the Windows 8 compatibility tool. It seems to indicate the computer could run Windows 8.

The question is, should I take advantage of the offer to upgrade or an I better off leaving my little work horse alone?

3. I also have a computer that runs Vista Business OS. Vista Business OS is significantly better than any of the other Vista versions, but it is still Vista. The Windows 8 compatibility tool also reports this computer can run Windows 8. I have checked the manufactures website for drivers. They do offer all the drivers and software for this computer in both Vista and Window 7. I see no mention of Windows 8 driver availability.

What do you think? Would you upgrade this computer?

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really appreciate your willingness to share your time and expertise.

FluffyPup

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Currently, Microsoft is offering an upgrade to Windows 8 pro for only $39.99.
I have several questions about what I should do. The answers I get are all over the map. So, I respect the knowledge base here and would like to know your thoughts.

1. My understanding is the offer is expiring January 31, 2013. Is it really going to expire? Or are they just going to extend it it some form, whether that is simply extending the current offers deadline or creating a different, but similar offer.~~~~UNKNOWN

2. I have an old Compaq notebook computer that runs on XP, service pack 3. I love this computer. It is a basic work horse that doesn't break and just keeps chuggin-along. The hardware can only handle 1G of Ram. I ran the Windows 8 compatibility tool. It seems to indicate the computer could run Windows 8.

The question is, should I take advantage of the offer to upgrade or an I better off leaving my little work horse alone?~~~Leave alone - in my opinion

3. I also have a computer that runs Vista Business OS. Vista Business OS is significantly better than any of the other Vista versions, but it is still Vista. The Windows 8 compatibility tool also reports this computer can run Windows 8. I have checked the manufactures website for drivers. They do offer all the drivers and software for this computer in both Vista and Window 7. I see no mention of Windows 8 driver availability.~~~~Windows 8 should have its own drivers.I upgraded to win 8 pro with no problems.

What do you think? Would you upgrade this computer?~~~I might buy a new one & upgrade it.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really appreciate your willingness to share your time and expertise.~~~The price in the future will probably be 2 or 3 hundred $$$$$

FluffyPup

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks medab1.

I have been leaning away from the upgrade. Don't really see any advantage.

Thanks for the response.

FP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users