Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with SuperAntiSpyware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaxKent

MaxKent

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

When I turn on my computer, I am greeted with an error message saying

"SuperAntiSpyware Update Application has encountered a problem and needs to close"
(I have the free version)

My modem only has the "Power" "Ethernet" and "DSL" lights "on" with no light on for "Internet"
It's like this before I even turn on my computer, as if something happened while it was off.
When I try to open up the browser i'm greeted with a strange page from my internet provider that says my internet connection is down. It's not the basic "webpage cannot be found" page.

I've checked the Local Area Connection and there is a connection, it's just that I can't connect to the internet until I reset my modem.

Since I have the Free version of SAS there aren't automatic updates, so i'm not even sure why the update application would be running in the first place.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled SAS and the same thing keeps on happening.

A few days ago, I heard a strange sound from my speakers and figured it must be infected. I scanned with SAS and it found and quarantined a Trojan.

Trojan.Agent/Gen-Faker[desc]

Scanned with Malwarebytes and Norton AntiVirus and didn't find anything else. But I heard that same noise again. I've scanned my computer with all 3 of the software (both in safe mode and regular) but it's hasn't found anything else.

Could the SAS problems be connected to a virus?

I'd appreciate some advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

I've uninstalled/reinstalled SAS and the same thing keeps on happening.
............ so i'm not even sure why the update application would be running in the first place.

Hello and Welcome -
Since you say that you have recently installed SAS twice, a few things come quickly to mind.

1 / Did you accept the new offer for the trial version that has recently been added to the download ??

2 / Have you unchecked these items under Preferences on the front panel option, to "Start SAS when Windows starts" and "Show splash screen on startup" (under Start-Up options), and next under (Start-Up Scanning) un-ticked "Check for updates before scanning on startup" -

Thank You -

#3 MaxKent

MaxKent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Okay, I just went through the preferences and unchecked all the options you just told me, hopefully that solves the problem.

Thank You for the Help

#4 MaxKent

MaxKent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I just checked and there wasn't an error message for SuperAntiSpyware when I turned on my computer, but the internet was down.

So SAS wasn't the problem, it must be the modem itself.

Have you come across a problem like this? A modem not connecting to the internet after the computer has been off for a few hours?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

It could be several things, and yes the signal can drop out especially if you have
First -
Uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware and leave it off your computer for a few dys, and just use your Antivirus + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Next -
Contact your Internet Service Provider to be sure there are no known local problems in your specific area and make sure they check - See if they will give you a Modem for Free or at a decent discounted price -

Next -
Do you have a spare Modem or one that you can borrow for a few days if your I.S.P. will not help you with one ??
I currently have 2 spares as my I.S.P. provided me with a new one for Free after I kept complaining about reception in my area -

See how you go with those ideas, and if the situation continues, we can look for infections later -
Keep your Antivirus as updated as you can, and update Malwarebytes every 2bd day then perform a Quick Scan -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users