Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my download speed slow?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Franky12

Franky12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hello all,
I am fan of 3D animations, I like to create them and to share them. With some European friends we have hired an account where we can publish and share our created 3D animations. So what has this to do with my problem? Well it takes a lot of time before a movie is downloaded (24 hours for a file of 1.2GB), this while for my friends it doesn’t take so long (a couple of hours). As I am the only one having this problem, I suppose that the problem has be found on my computer. So I have checked several websites without finding the solution but this site (how to speed up internet) recommended me to post my question here. So what could be the cause of this problem? I will provide you with some technical information:
I have a ADSL connection with a download speed of: 7,5Mbps per second and 0,66 Mbps upload. I am running Windows 7 with 4GB of memory. Hope you can give me some tips!
Thanks for your time,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Carla73

Carla73

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I believe that your computer is not causing problem.
If it takes more time for you to download a file then your friends, than maybe the problem is related to the server where you download the files. For example where is the server located?
When you are downloading file from a server in Spain, for example and you are in the UK, then downloading the files will take longer for you then it will take for me.
Also how are you downloading the files, are you using FTP? And you friend are downloading the file the same way?
Cheers!
Carla

#3 letmekill

letmekill

• Banned Spammer
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

Hello all,
I am fan of 3D animations, I like to create them and to share them. With some European friends we have hired an account where we can publish and share our created 3D animations. So what has this to do with my problem? Well it takes a lot of time before a movie is downloaded (24 hours for a file of 1.2GB), this while for my friends it doesn’t take so long (a couple of hours). As I am the only one having this problem, I suppose that the problem has be found on my computer. So I have checked several websites without finding the solution but this site (how to speed up internet) recommended me to post my question here. So what could be the cause of this problem? I will provide you with some technical information:
I have a ADSL connection with a download speed of: 7,5Mbps per second and 0,66 Mbps upload. I am running Windows 7 with 4GB of memory. Hope you can give me some tips!
Thanks for your time,

Hi,

You can increase your internet speed by following this simple steps:

1)Check whether your computer is infected with malware

2)Clear all the cookies and history of your browser

3)Avoid using browser's which enable flash and java scripts,this may slow down your connection,You can use Firefox and Google chorme which dosent require's flash and java codeing

4)You can check your internet speed by testing your connection in the site ScanmySpeed.com .The site work's without any flash or java script.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

For what its worth I tested Scanmyspeed.com and it didn't test correctly the first time it showed 6.52 Mbps Speedtest.net reported 25.53 mbps, second test reported 18.18 Mbps. I am not familiar with the site, so your test my be different then mine. Opinions my vary but Speedtest.net is the generally accepted standard in free speed testing. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 April 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users