Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell Laptop won't shut down, start up, overheated possibly [URGENT]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kligeiro

kligeiro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm thinking that my computer possibly overheated while I was on it, since it randomly shut down.

I tried to see if my laptop would die I could start it up, but still I get no screen nothing everything is black, my pc disc tray won't open the caps lock button just keeps blinking.

How can I possibly fix my laptop?

Video is here:

tried taking the battery out connecting to ac still no luck:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Can you plug it into an external monitor?

It looks to me like your GPU might have over heated and now your getting flash codes from your LED keys. If it's the GPU an external monitor won't work either.

#3 kligeiro

kligeiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Can you plug it into an external monitor?

It looks to me like your GPU might have over heated and now your getting flash codes from your LED keys. If it's the GPU an external monitor won't work either.

I plugged it into an external monitor and nothing happened. So if the GPU isn't working, what now?

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Most times a RAM, GPU, or other hardware issue has a beep code that goes along with it. Like beep, beep, beep, pause and repeat. That's usually a RAM issue. Don't recall ever hearing one for a failing GPU?

If it IS the GPU failing you have a few options depending on it's state. If it's dead then your S.O.O.L. Simply Out of Luck.

When a GPU starts to go, like on an Xbox360 red ring of death, the unit starts to over heat the GPU and at some point either fries or liquifies the solder around the pins. If the GPU is fried your SOOL. If it's just over heating fast you can try to remove the heatsink or fan/heatsink combination and apply new thermal compound and reattach the heatsink. If it's over heated enough to ball the solder or disconnect pins then your almost SOOL. Fixing balled solder or missing contacts on a GPU and/or motherboard on a laptop just isn't easy. I've fixed two and lost one over the years. Sometimes using a heat-gun while other times letting the unit overheat for a while then letting it cool again before testing fixes it. Then applying new thermal paste and tightening down the heatsink.

You might be better off finding a shop that works on systems and asking what they would charge to fix an issue like this.

Sorry,
Zen

#5 kligeiro

kligeiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Most times a RAM, GPU, or other hardware issue has a beep code that goes along with it. Like beep, beep, beep, pause and repeat. That's usually a RAM issue. Don't recall ever hearing one for a failing GPU?

If it IS the GPU failing you have a few options depending on it's state. If it's dead then your S.O.O.L. Simply Out of Luck.

When a GPU starts to go, like on an Xbox360 red ring of death, the unit starts to over heat the GPU and at some point either fries or liquifies the solder around the pins. If the GPU is fried your SOOL. If it's just over heating fast you can try to remove the heatsink or fan/heatsink combination and apply new thermal compound and reattach the heatsink. If it's over heated enough to ball the solder or disconnect pins then your almost SOOL. Fixing balled solder or missing contacts on a GPU and/or motherboard on a laptop just isn't easy. I've fixed two and lost one over the years. Sometimes using a heat-gun while other times letting the unit overheat for a while then letting it cool again before testing fixes it. Then applying new thermal paste and tightening down the heatsink.

You might be better off finding a shop that works on systems and asking what they would charge to fix an issue like this.

Sorry,
Zen

Sounds good thanks man!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users