Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long post times, BSOD.... need help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jephjones

jephjones

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

My computer specs:
750w PSU (3 years old enermax)
quadcore 9450
quadcore 9450
HD 6970 2gb (only 1 video card)
2 HDDs SATA
4 sticks RAM DDR2, 6gb total

For over about a year now I've been hearing a screeching noise coming from my computer, this noise only lasts about 2 seconds max and happens very rarely so I'm not really able to pinpoint which part is actually making that noise. Its a high pitched "EEEEEEEEE".

More recently the computer has been taking about 5 minutes to post. One time while windows suggested I change the visual settings lower due to low performance, I wasn't doing anything more strenuous than normal. The next time I turned on the computer post took 20 minutes. Everything runs normally except for those problems. But then I got a BSOD. Usually it performs a memory dump and counts to 100, but it was stuck at 20 forever so forced shutdown.

What I've tried so far was:
make sure the CPU was seated tightly still along with the GPU
move the RAM sticks around
run HDD diagnostic on the main HDD

I'm currently running seagate HDD diagnostics on the secondary HDD. When I started the tool I got this error:
Void ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32, IntPtr)

But didn't get it the second time so now it's running.

What could cause these problems with the computer? Should I bother running the scan on the secondary HDD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

FWIW: http://forums.seagate.com/t5/SeaTools/Seatools-fails-to-detect-my-drive/m-p/116978

Louis

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

........I'm not really able to pinpoint which part is actually making that noise. Its a high pitched "EEEEEEEEE".

I think that is your cat peeing on an electrical outlet.

The brief screeching may be a fan briefly rubbing (among other things). This time of year my power supply fan occasionally rubs. A good kick does the trick.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode to see if it's any shorter?

Have you tried disconnecting the 2nd HDD and starting up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users