Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to determine volume version and state

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saturn072002

saturn072002

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have a USB 2.0 120GB portable hard disk. I am having Windows 7. I guess due to unsafe remove it is now giving error "You need to format the disk ..." on connecting the hard disk to my laptop.

I tried running chkdsk with different options like (probably /R but could not recall if i did so) and not of much help. Its giving below error. I am not sure if i did more damage by runnign chkdsk :(
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.
Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

While looking more into it i found http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/ which mentioned of similar issue but for case when device has become raw. Even though that did not seemed to be case here, i tried those steps. In specified steps after doing "Quick Search" it did not listed any partition so i performed a deeper search and it listed one partition. However pressing P did not displayed any files/folders and displayed some NTFS related error so i did not proceeded with option to over-write partition table and exited.

The link that i mentioned had reference to this forum for queries/help so posting my queries here.

Any recommendation on if i should proceed with over-writing partition table or if i should try any other option which would be more safe in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Pradeep

Edited by saturn072002, 28 January 2013 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi

A couple of points stated in that article that need to be very clear.

Do not write a new partition table if you can't see files/folders by pressing p on the partition. You only want to rewrite the partition table with a correct one not a broken one.

Do not run chkdsk until the important data is recovered. Chkdsk prioritizes repairing over recovering so if it needs to destroy data in order to do a repair, it will.

Since you are already familiar with running Testdisk in PartedMagic, you can try to see if it can tell you anything about the boot sector of that partition (it may not be able to see the partition anymore at this point)

Reboot from the PartedMagic CD and get back to the terminal window so we can run TestDisk again.

Type testdisk and press enter.
Choose No Log and hit enter
Make sure that your disk is highlighted
Choose Proceed and hit enter
Select Intel and hit enter
Select Advanced and hit enter
Make sure that the problematic partition is highlighted and
Select Boot and hit enter

Could you see the partition?
What are the Boot sector and Back up boot sector statuses (good or bad)?

James

#3 saturn072002

saturn072002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi James,

I executed chkdsk before i had seen the post that had details of using testdisk but i could not recall if i had used /F or /R option with chkdsk.

I tried the steps that you mentioned. On selecting Advance, it did displayed the partition. On selecting Boot it displayed boot sector status bad and backup boot sector as ok and a message that sectors are not identical.

Thanks, Pradeep

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hi Pradeep

I figured that you tried the chkdsk before seeing my blog post. I posted the chkdsk warning for other people who find this forum thread so they will know. I should have been more clear :)

Let's try to restore the boot sector from its backup then.

If you are not still in TestDisk at that screen that tells you the status of the boot sector and backup boot sector then let's get there again.

At the bottom of the screen where it says that the Boot Sector is BAD and the Backup Boot Sector is OK highlight BACKUP BS and hit enter.
Choose Y when it asks to confirm copying the backup boot sector over the boot sector

Now both should have a status of OK and be identical.

Quit out of TestDisk and remove the PartedMagic CD
Boot into Windows and see if the drive is visible again.

Let us know what happens.

James

#5 saturn072002

saturn072002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi James,

Drive is visible and now trying to access the drive is giving error "The file or directory is corrupt or unreadable".

Should i try again the process that is specified for case when device has become raw?

Thanks, Pradeep

#6 saturn072002

saturn072002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

An additional detail that i missed to mention in earlier post is that after replacing boot sector windows disk management utility is now displaying disk as RAW.

Thanks, Pradeep

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

That error indicates that core metadata of the file system in that partition is corrupted.

You can try to FIRST recover important data from it and THEN run chkdsk as described in this KB article...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176646

Here is Microsoft's warning and instructions from that article...

WARNING: When Chkdsk detects problems with the file system and attempts to repair the damage, data loss can occur. Microsoft does not recommend running Chkdsk with the /f command-line switch unless you have a full backup of your hard disk.

Attempt to repair the damaged file, folder or file system index using Chkdsk. To do so, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type chkdsk /f <drive>:, where <drive> is the letter of the drive on which the damaged file, folder or file system index exists.
Click OK.

NOTE: If the hard disk is large, Chkdsk may take several minutes to several hours to complete.

To attempt to recover data, first I suggest seeing if it can be done in PartedMagic

Boot the computer into PartedMagic.

Click the MOUNT DEVICES button which is down in the lower left of the desktop. Here's a picture...
http://litten.com/images/mount1.jpg

You want to click the green MOUNT button next to the partition on the bad drive that has the data that you want (there may be more than one partition on it like a factory recovery partition or maybe others)

Click the green MOUNT button next to the drive partition that you want to copy to. If you aren't sure which drive is which then post a picture or description and we'll try to tell you.

Be patient as they can take a few moments to mount sometimes.

NOTE THE NAMES OF THE DRIVE NEXT TO THE UNMOUNT BUTTON (was MOUNT button before you clicked it) They should be something like /media/sda1 and /media/sdb1 (though yours may be different)

Once you have mounted both the bad drive and the drive that we are copying to, you will notice that the File Manager window opened also when you clicked the MOUNT DEVICES button. In it you will see folders representing your drives. The File Manager window should be displaying the contents of the /media folder and your drives will be folders called sda1 and sdb1 (though yours may have different names that you got by looking next to the UNMOUNT button).

Double click the folder for your bad drive and if you see your files and folders then simply select what you want to copy to the new drive and right-click and choose COPY. Then navigate to the folder that represents the new drive and right-click and choose PASTE just like if you were in Windows Explorer.

Let us know if this works, if you have any questions, if it does not work for you or you can't see the files/drive.
If it does not work, you can try PhotoRec but will not get file or folder names (they will be called a number representing their first LBA) or a commercial product like Restorer Ultimate.

James

#8 saturn072002

saturn072002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hi James,

I tried the steps and it did not displayed the bad device in list of devices for mount. However, i displayed the device in explorer and accessing that gave error "unable to determine device fstype".

I tried steps mentioned for RAW device and after deeper search when i pressed P it gave error related to filesystem corruption. I then rebooted to windows and tried accessign device and that also gave file system related error.

Should i try chkdsk with force option or can that corrupt the disk more? Or should i format (quick or full?) and try using PhotoRec for recovery? Any idea on RunTime's GetDataBack for recovery?

Thanks, Pradeep

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think that you need to contact a professional data recovery service to get your data. Seagate offers one and there are many others.

The filesystem on the partition you are trying to recover appears to be severely damaged. I fear that you are going to do something that will make the data difficult or impossible to recover.

James

#10 saturn072002

saturn072002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hi James,

Thank you for your help.

I tried using PhotoRec that you mentioned in one of earlier posts. I recovered lots of files and i already looking into all files for important ones but atleast 50% of important files seems to be there :)

I will surely seek professional help if there is some very important data missing.

Thanks again.

Regards, Pradeep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users