Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hello BleepingComputer,
Like another user has posted, I seem to have an error with the windows explorer. Whenever I turn on my PC, an error message pops up saying Windows Explorer has stopped working. I have an option to close or restart, which on restarting brings up the same error in like 2 seconds. Here are the problem details that I got on expanding:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: InPageError
Error Status Code: c000009c
Faulting Media Type: 00000003
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 16393
Additional Information 1: a7aa
Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
Additional Information 3: a7aa
Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

I did some googling and couldn't find anything to fix the problem. I tried running chkdsk /f /r and on rebooting, chkdsk found the sector to be clean. Due this problem, I'm unable to use the windows explorer to do anything, I'm running all programs including firefox through task manager. I can't seem to think of any malicious programs that I've downloaded lately. I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes PRO and it did not find any infections. The only major change I've done to the PC was 2 days back when I changed the windows logon image by going to %windir%system32/oobe/info/background/ and replacing the default one with another picture. But it did not cause any problems since I booted up several times after changing the picture in these 2 days and the error did not appear till today. And to add to this, while I was using the PC before this problem occured, the PC was quickly turned off without being shut down in the normal procedure due to a power failure. The next time I tried to turn on my PC, that's today, the error occured for the first time. I would like to know whether there are any fixes for it or is it a problem with my HDD.
Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Try doing a System Restore to a date prior to this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2694911

here are some possible solutions.

I've found that WE is a really poor explorer............I've been using this now for a few years.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir

#4 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Thank you both for the reply. I did some more googling and tried the event manager and found out it's something with the thumbnail cache. So I did a cleanup which deleted the cache and now I'm able to use the explorer without any crashes. But now I suspect it to be a worm/virus since all drives and folders are opening in a new window. I've had this same situation before when it was a virus. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

But now I suspect it to be a worm/virus ............ Any specific instructions would be appreciated.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting from step :step6: . If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, and what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow His Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Now that your logs have been properly posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic483418.html/page__p__2961127__fromsearch__1#entry2961127

I am closing this topic to avoid confusion.

Everyone else, please begin a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users