Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook page is all white with a list on the left border

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JeepTJ

JeepTJ

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Since Friday, my facebook comes up as just a white page with a list of things along the left side. Included in the list is "Facebook" (at the top) messages, new message, notifications, find friends, a postage stamp size of my profile picture, home, help search, there are more and not neccessarily in this order. Whatever I click on, the same exact page returns. I have windows vista, I have tried opening facebook in google chrome and in internet explorer with the same results. I have deleted temporary cookies, defragged my computer, uninstalled and reinstalled google chrome. I have signed out of facebook and signed back in. I have googled, binged, and ask.com ed. I can find no solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

try reloading the page completely. For that open the page, then press ctrl+f5. If that does not work, I would suggest emptying the cache.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

your dns is blocking it
if you're using a comodo browser, (dragon or ice dragon), uncheck "enable malware domain filtering"
if you still have problem, change the addresses for dns in your "connection properties"
"open dns" is a good all around dns provider

instructions:
http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html

#4 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

The ctrl+f5 didn't work. I don't know how to empty the cache. I'm afraid I don't even know what a dns is, or where to uncheck it or change the address. I'm afraid I'm very computer illiterate. I tried the link provided, but I don't have a network connections option on my control panel. Can someone pretend they're explaining what I need to do to a 5 year old instead of a 55 year old?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

clear my web browser's cache

Flush DNS

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

First let me say I appreciate everyone's time and help. I did both of the above links.......still the same. Any other ideas? I WAS getting a bit too addicted to facebook. But I really want it back. I can't get any of my messages or see any notifications :(

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

In Chrome or IE it may be the Add ons/Plugins. try disabling them one at a time and see which one was at fault.

OR Disable All Extensions ,see if that worked,then you need to go back to one by one to see which ps the culprit.

How to manage add-ons in Internet Explorer 9
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-to-manage-add-ons-in-Internet-Explorer-9

These are 2 common items...facebook.net or fbcdn.com.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

In the past couple of weeks some users have mistakenly blocked/ deleted Javascript in their browsers instead of
the program Java.

The reason I mention that is because your facebook home page will not display with Javascript deactivated.
Have you reported your problem to Facebook? See info here: My home page is blank. | Facebook Help Center | Facebook
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

I checked my Javascript. Thank you for the link to report to facebook. Reported it yesterday morning, haven't heard anything yet.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Have any of your contacts that you have allowed to post on your Facebook reported to you that
they cannot see your content?
I know that Facebook recently made a big effort to purge what they thought fake or advertising accounts.
But what I understood was they deleted the entire accounts...not just content.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

I will check with a few people and see if they can still access my page. Hadn't thought of that. This is so frustrating to me. Every other site still works well, so there is nothing wrong with the computer (I think?)

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Or you could use a different computer to see if it is some small issue with the computer you are now using.

If you don't have access to a different computer you could use a Live Linux CD that would allow you internet access
using only the RAM in your computer. Always a good idea to have one of those live CDs around for several reasons.

But first check to see what others see or use a different computer to find out if Facebook is causing the problem and not you.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Did you delete your Chrome profile during the reinstall of Chrome? If not, that would be my next recommendation
if it turns out it is a problem with your computer and not Facebook.

How to completely uninstall Chrome in Vista:
  • Close all Chrome windows and tabs.
  • Go to the Start menu > Control Panel. (Windows 8 users: Learn how to access the Control Panel)
  • Click Programs and Features.
  • Double-click Google Chrome.
  • Click Uninstall from the confirmation dialog. If you want to delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, select the "Also delete your browsing data" checkbox.
If you're having problems uninstalling the browser using these methods, try manually uninstalling the browser instead.

Did the browser come packaged with other software on your computer? If so, your version of Google Chrome may be installed system-wide and you'll need to log in to a user account with administrative rights on your computer to uninstall the browser. Uninstalling a system-wide version of Google Chrome removes the browser for all user accounts on your computer.

#14 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

This was sent to me from a friend on another forum that knows I'm having facebook issues. Does this mean anything to anyone? Means nothing to me....

I'm not posting this but this is the info I have on your IP address:

General IP Information

IP: 67.142.163.27
Decimal: 1133421339
Hostname: host671420027163.direcway.com
ISP: Hughes Network Systems
Organization: Hughes Network Systems
Services: Confirmed proxy server
Recently reported forum spam source. (1)
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Static IP
Blacklist:
Geolocation Information

Latitude: 38 (38 0′ 0.00″ N)
Longitude: -97 (97 0′ 0.00″ W)

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Do you know if you have set up a proxy service before this problem started?

If you are not sure, use the directions below to find out if a proxy has been enabled.

(1) Click on "Start," type "inetcpl.cpl" in the Search box, and then press "Enter"
(2) Click on the "Connections" tab of the Internet Options dialog box that opens.
(3) Click on the "LAN Settings" button. Proxy server setting will be displayed on the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box that opens. Click on the "Advanced" button to view the advanced Proxy server details.

Malware sometimes sets up a proxy. So let me know if a proxy has been enabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users