Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Working...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zipere

Zipere

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

Alright then, I guess i'll start with this. I have a Windows Me Compaq computer, it probably has at least one problem a week. (No duh huh?) Anyways im getting really tired of fixing alot of these problems, today i was encountered with one that hasnt hapened to me before. My computer is having some problems with the graphics card and other things such as sound, which i will not get into. I just decided that i will recover my machine because i do it quite often and i dont really have very many special files i need. So i put in my system restore disk, and clicked a number to choose what i wanted to do. (I clicked 4 to restore the machine.) When i did so it just kinda flashed or flickered once. Everytime i clicked it, it would flash or flicker. So i figured the disk was done for, seeing i use it alot. Now i decided to check out if the system restore disk was disabled some how. So i went to the system settings, clicked on performance, then file system. After that i went on to click on troubleshooting. When i got their like i suspected, one of the boxes was checked, It reads " Disable system restore". It was checked. So immidatally i unchecked it, then clicked apply. I wanted to see if it worked so i went back, and it was checked again like i didnt even check it -.-.... So This is my problem i would like to know how to make it work so i can restore my system for the millionth time :thumbsup: .
Thank you hope to hear from someone soon :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

I think you're confusing System Restore with Restore Disks.

System Restore is a backup of the system. If it's turned off, there are no backups - they are wiped when it's turned off. Restore Disks will return your system to its out-of-the-box state or repair the operating system if available.

I don't know which model you have, so here is a general method from Compaq/HP.

#3 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:01 PM

Well i went threw alot of things that really arnt working. I think my disc might just not work. I got the box in my system to uncheck. Like you said though when i put in my disc it didnt work still and did the same flashing little thing. So if you have any ideas what i should do from here i would like to know thanks.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

I assume you're talking about the CD-Rom disk. It could be that the CD-Rom drive isn't working. It could also be that the disk is damaged. I have saved damaged disks by using a Maxell kit that contains both scratch remover and cleaner/polish. It's less inexpensive than replacing a lot of disks. Be sure that if you choose to work on the disk that you clean in a radial direction and not the direction of the spin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users