Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Inspiron 1525 Power Issue.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Feril_Android

Feril_Android

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

Hiya!

I have an odd, hopefully not fatal problem affecting a clients' Inspiron 1525. To start with, the thing had a knackered mobo, and battery - nothing whatsoever. So I picked up another 1525 with a broken screen but working mobo. After fitting this into the chassis of the client machine, and expecting the job to be done, I was surprised to find the thing didn't power on at all. Ok, so...

1. I tested the power supply (an OEM Dell unit, that came with the working mobo), that was fine.

2. I swapped out the memory. Nothing.

3. I swapped and checked/cleaned the little power button switch board and ribbon cable.. Nope.

4. I tested the power jack. Ok. No signs of cracked or dry solder - everything looked & tested good.

5. I then removed and replaced the Cmos battery..and voila! when I plugged it in up it fired!! But without me pushing the power button?!?!

And...

The power button does not turn off the laptop when pushed...? Ok, so I unplugged it from the mains and plugged it in again and...nothing..?? No sign of power..If I swap out the Cmos battery it fires up, but nothing from the power button/switch. I have since tried the other power button/switch board again, but to no avail.. I completely removed the Cmos battery and it fired up, and with a hard drive, it loaded and ran windoze happily! But this isn't any good for my client ;) kinda bad as well as the only way of powering down is to pull the power completely and suddenly, which isn't very nice for hard drives, or anything really...Oh BTW, I did all of this without a battery on the thing, that shouldn't matter should it?

I've spent 10+ bloomin' hours online trying to find a solution for this, but all the ideas came to nowt..and it seems that these Dells are prone to power issues, mainly to do with PSUs. There are complaints about the frequency that users have to replace their Cmos batteries, but I couldn't find squat about anything like my problem.

I've a bad, bad, bad feeling that the mobo is banjaxed..! Please say it's not true, please.. :'(

Please help a fellow tech in his hour of need....

Cheers!
Feril

Edited by Feril_Android, 28 January 2013 - 04:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yikes man it doesn't sound good. I mean if it's not the Power Supply or memory that kinda only leaves one thing :-\
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I didn't go through the entire set of tests but could it be that the power switch circuit is permanently in the closed position? Item 3 says it was checked but it depends how that was done. I imagine it would be quite difficult to check with the actual button and the button board in situ. Suppose the clearance between button and board was now zero for some reason.

#4 Feril_Android

Feril_Android
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Well Nanobyte, that's a possibility..I did try both power switch boards, but it's worth another go. As it goes, I've happened across another working 1525, so I'm going to try bits from that machine.. I shall post back the results later on..The switch being stuck in the on position was suggested to me by another tech here.. so that's worth a look.. :wink:

Thanks for the replies!

Feril

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Re the power switch, I was making the point that it was not likely to be the boards, since you tried several, but the actual pushbutton position relative to the board contact. Say the main surface of the laptop was pressed in slightly, or the boards were not properly seated, or there was some crap on the board contact or switch bottom, there would be a permanent "on". If it's possible, try running with the top plate lifted high enough you are sure the button and board contact are separated. Never tried it but you should be able to simulate the power button with a finger on the board contact. Maybe someone else has experience there.

#6 Feril_Android

Feril_Android
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I've sussed it!!! :D

Thank Ghod I had some spare bits...

It was the little ribbon connecter between the switch board and the mobo... the BOTH of them were damaged...fractured internally..!

WhooHoo!! :D

Sorted...

Thanks for all the answers..

Cheers!

Feril

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users