Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kim_K

Kim_K

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi All

Dell Inspiron 15 running Windows 7

When I start the computer it all seems normal until the desktop appears and the icons load. Before I can do anything I get a pop up saying Windows Explorer has stopped working. I have the option to restart windows or check on line for a solution. Both options give the same results. The icons disapperar and then reappear but I get the same pop up before I can do anything.

I recently had a huge malware problem that I was working through with CatByte in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic481194.html . I thought the problem was fix but now I can't do anything with the computer.

Help
Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dell-Jesse L

Dell-Jesse L

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hey Kim,

The malware issue could have caused some damage to Windows. Try running the system file checker from safe mode and that may fix the problem. For information on running the system file checker you can click the link below.

System File Checker

You may also want to wipe the system clean and format the drive then reinstall Windows since your system was infected with the malware. Let me know if you need any other information. I am also adding a link to manually reinstall Windows 7.

Windows 7 Support Page

Manually Reinstall Windows 7

Dell System Drivers Download Page

Thank You,
Dell-Jesse L
Dell Social Media and Communities

#3 Kim_K

Kim_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hi Jesse

Thanks for the reply. System file checker didn't work. It ran up to 72% complete and them it sadi, "Windows resource protection could not preform the requested operation"

I need to do a manual reinstall of Windows 7. My hard drive was replaced under warranty and the replacement didn't come with the restore partition. I have contacted Dell support and asked if they could send me the restore disks.

Thanks
Kim

Edited by Kim_K, 30 January 2013 - 01:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users