Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with UK Police MoneyPak virus - Safe Mode doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sheddy71

Sheddy71

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hello

I've posted the message below in the Virus, etc. Removal Logs forum already. I'm new here (first time infected with a virus!) and so don't know which forum is really the most appropriate to get the quickest useful response. Apologies if posting in more that one thread is against etiquette.

Ed

------------------------------
My PC has been infected with a UK version of the FBI MoneyPak virus, claiming to come from the Police Central e-Crime Unit (PCeU) and demanding 100 via uKAsh or paysafe care to unlock my computer.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have tried to follow the advice on the Norton support site and here on bleeping computer by starting the computer in safe mode. But as soon as I log in, the virus takes over the whole screen so I cannot use my browzer to download any software to try to fix it.

The only thing I am able to do when the virus screen has appeared is to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the screen which gives options:
Lock this computer
Switch User
Log off
Change a password
Start Task Manager
Shut down, etc.

If I try to start Task Manager, it flashes for half a second then disappears and the virus screen takes over again.

I'm completely stuck. What help or advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance

Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hello Sheddy71,

Since no logs were included in the other topic nor in this one. This is the forum you should start with. I have deleted the other topic in the log forum to avoid confusion for everyone. Thank you for choosing Bleeping Computer for your Malware Removal needs.

Someone with malware experience should reply to you here shortly. Please be patient while your topic is evaluated by our volunteer helpers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi Sheddy71

We missed your topic.Do you still need help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users