Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Shell Commands

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I've been reading Linux All-in-One For Dummies a bit lately and I've tried to install the chrome browser on my Kubuntu virtual machine but it's not working. Here's the command I used:

sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb

Here's the response I get:

Reading Package Lists...Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb'

This is after I downloaded this file from google. The book used apt-get install without the sudo command but I'm not able to get anywhere without using sudo. What am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hi,

packages are downloaded and installed with apt-get install, however when I did not have the package in my repositories, but download them manually, I've always used dpkg -i to install the package.

I would suggest either adding the google repositories (so they exist) to your repository, then apt-get install should work. Or use dpkg -i with the package you have downloaded locally. Both will need sudo.

regards myrti

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not yet familiar with repositories so I'll have to read up on that but I'll try the dpkg -i command.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I moved this topic into the Unix/Linux forum; you might get some answers from "regular folks" here too.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

As myrti noted you need to mix and match your tools to your packages.

a "*.deb" package is usually a Debian formated package that can be installed with; sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb

Using; sudo apt-get update
Then; sudo apt-get install chromium

If it fails due to not being able to find the proper repository go here and follow all the steps and you'll be fine; http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/12/install-google-chrome-using-apt-get-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/?ModPagespeed=noscript

You might also want to do; sudo apt-get install synaptic
Synaptic is a GUI tool for installing packages that has a lot more information and a one stop shop for searching, installing, removing and explaining what each application does. Just remember that you need to enter the root password when prompted after launching this application as it doesn't use sudo.

Regards,
Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users