Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winsxs BLOATED to over 12 GB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DocFred

DocFred

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 3050. With 70 gb Hard drive. running Windows Vista. (I know, I know.... Vista and 70 GB but it is for work and attached to a industry specific scanner and I am not able to update at this time.)

My winsxs folder is currently above 12 GB in size.
Both SP1 and SP2 have been installed. Apparently when SP2 installed it removed the vsp1cln.exe file.

VSP2 fix - compcln.exe has been ran but did not change the size of the folder.

A try to reinstall sp1 shows that it has been installed already - so is unable to reinstall.

There is a tree size report of my Windows folder attached.
Attached File  TreeSize Free Report, (C__Windows_ on ACER).pdf   103.17KB   5 downloads

I have uninstalled all the programs I don't use,

Any helpful hints to help this folder return to a "Normal and Healthy" size?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

The obvious solution would be to either add an external hdd, use the original for the operating system and store all of your other files on the external, or replace the original with a more appropriate sized hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

FWIW: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/174f3f40-41fd-47f1-8fd8-3f11a642c96c/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users