Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi disk parition(D:) says its full, yet plenty of room on other disk that make up D:

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NowADaze

NowADaze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

First time posting.

Months ago, I was able to obtain a copy of Windows Server 2003. Afterwards, I set out to create a home media server consisting of (4) 2TB hard drives. Using Windows Server 2003 set-up, I created a small C: drive partition for system files and a large D: partition across spread across all 4 hard drives for media storage. Recently, I began to get messages stating that my D: drive was out of storage space.

** (See attachment; Screenshot 1) **

D: properties lists 4.65 TB of free space, so the system is seeing the amount of free space across all 4 hard drives. However, the "Capacity:" only lists 1.79 TB as if the system only sees the capacity of the first 2TB hard drive.

Using a partitioning tool, I can view the following:

** (See attachment; Screenshot 2) **

From this I can see that D: partition on the first disk has been labeled "DATA" and the remaining partitions spread out across multiple hard drives are labeled as *:DATA. The D: partition on Disk 1 is full. The other disks have plenty of free space. I am confused as to why Disk 1 is storing the majority of the information and giving the out of space message when the other disks have plenty of free space.
I do not believe that I set the system for hard drive redundancy (However, I cannot find a way to go back and double check).

I have searched the internet, but I wasn't find any information regarding a scenario which resembles the issue I am facing. Is there a way I can make it so that all of the free space available of the D: partition is made available and thereby get past the out of storage space messages. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.
Scott H.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

A little confused since the drives list as a Basic MBR. The only way to create a spanned volume across multiple drives is by setting the drives as dynamic drives. This is probably why it is not working properly. To set them as dynamic just right click the drive inthe lower portion of the management window (where it says Disk 0, Disk 1, Ect) and choose change to dynamic. Keep in mind two things. One going to dynamic is supposed to be non-destructive however a backup is a good idea. Two you cannot go back to a basic disk with out losing all data and repartitioning the drive. You may have to remove the spanned volume from the drives before going to dynamic but since I have never seen that done before I cannot be sure.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users