Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bot-clearing scam from Comcast?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kathy Z.

Kathy Z.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I received an email from Comcast informing me that Constant Guard had detected that I "may have a bot" in my computer and that I needed to take immediate action. I called the Comcast number on my bill and the tech told me it was a legitimate alert and that I needed to download Constant Guard to get rid of the bot. The tech at Constant Guard told me she could see the bot, but when I asked her where it was in my computer, she said she couldn't tell me that. When I'd downloaded Constant Guard, I asked, "Okay, I've got Constant Guard now--when will it get rid of the bot?", I was told I had to call Comcast Signature Services. They told me they could get rid of the bot for $129.99. My husband says it sounds like a scam--the Constant Guard is free, yes, but we'd have to pay Signature Services $129.99 to get rid of the bot. I Googled "Bot-clearing scams from Comcast" and found a Forum from 2011 in which the posters were complaining about the same exact situation; a couple of them said that techs at Comcast had told them that it's a scam. I have Norton Antivirus, which I run every day; after reading the email, I did a Norton Power Erase--both told me that there was no malware or viruses on the computer. A friend of mine from my church said you could advise me. Thank you for your time and trouble.--Kathy Z.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

That is a scam

Download

TDSSkiller

Launch it.Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system

Click on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results

Download

aswMBR

Launch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitions
Click the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save log

Post the log results here.If you get crashes in normal mode,run it in safemode with networking

Download

ESET online scanner

Install it

Click on START,it should download the virus definitions
When scan gets completed,click on LIST of found threats

Export the list to desktop,copy the contents of the text file in your reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users