Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer desktop wont start

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dukman

dukman

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hello everybody, I am new to the forum and hope you may be able to give me some help. I have a Acer L5100 small form desktop with Vista o/s. This has been fine for my basic needs until recently when the normal beep on start up was followed by a second beep and then displayed the BIOS screen. Pressing the F1 to continue option allowed me to continue ok. This happened for about a week, during which time I got very nervous and fortunately had enough warning to perform a back-up. Just as well because it now wont start and display anything. Earlier I could coax it by unplugging a few times but now nothing. There is no beep but the fans and hard drive are working. I can run my recovery disc that I can hear spinning up but no other function. I would like to know if sounds like something that could be fixed and if I could realistically expect to be able to do it myself ?
Best regards,
dukman.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Dukman, Welcome to BC. :) Please check the hard drive brand and post it on your next reply. Do you see the HD on your BIOS setup and boot priority?

Tekken

#3 dukman

dukman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hello,
Thanks for your reply jhayz, the hdd is Hitachi HDS72161PLA380 ATA (164.69 GB). I can't check the bios setting as it's not appearing anymore but from memory when I could see it it was set to the hard drive, that's why I hoped my recovery disc may work ?

#4 dukman

dukman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hello, I have attached a screen shot of the first bios page that may help ? As I said I am unable to get back to this to check further but hope this will hold some clues ?

Attached Files

#5 Pretorian

Pretorian

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

First of all I'd try to deatch the ram modules, probably you will find two of them.
Try to detach all two and then start the pc with just one in one slot, if nothing change try the other one.
Do the same for the second slot, so if it works we are happy, if not we can exluce ram from the troubles list.

#6 dukman

dukman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hello Pretorian, thanks for that, gave it a try but no joy.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

According to the link, Award BIOS beep code for one, 2 short beeps indicates a video error or card problem.

Tekken

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi

Unplug the power from the PC for half an hour.

Plug it back in and try to get into the BIOS settings by pressing the DEL key while it is POSTing (your picture is a picture of it POSTing)
Is the clock in the BIOS settings showing the correct date or time?

The fact that your screenshot does not show any Master drives and shows a checksum error, points to a possibly corrupt CMOS, usually caused by a bad battery. If the clock is wrong then a bad battery is a pretty safe bet. Otherwise, we may need to change some settings or attempt a reset depending on the motherboard.

I think that is a weird custom BIOS (only know from previous experience with a similar PC) and the beep codes are not the normal ones.

James

#9 Pretorian

Pretorian

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

So ram is not the trouble.
As dukman says seems a video error, so you can focalize now on the video card.
Again, try with and without video card, also try the mobo video one to understand which one is gone.

Also I quote James Litten, but first I recommend to check the video card, just to be sure of what is not working properly.
If it is a bios error there will be more work to do, that's why I say to go step by step.

Edited by Pretorian, 31 January 2013 - 03:23 AM.

#10 dukman

dukman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hello, Thanks for the replies. I tried the unplug and delete but no change. The BIOS is Pheonix Technologies Ltd RO1-A3 10/16/2007 Re:- the video card, not sure I have one ? Is it an integrated video memory ?

#11 Pretorian

Pretorian

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

So seems high probable that the mobo is ready to go, what more we can try ?
Log into the bios and restore all the default settings, there's always an option or a key to do that.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi

Are you unable to get into the BIOS settings? That picture that you posted is a picture of a Power-On Self-Test (POST)

The BIOS settings are what you get to when you press the DEL button in that screen. They look something like this...

Posted Image

Again, that custom BIOS probably uses generic beep codes and not the standard ones for that set. The generic definition for 2 beeps is often a POST problem not a video problem. Typically, a video problem would make it kind of hard to see the screen that you are seeing.

Your CMOS is corrupted. It is not providing a proper checksum and it detects no Master IDE drives.
The service manual is here..
http://www.acersupport.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/servicemanuals/S.G_Aspire_L5100_Veriton_L410_BOOK.pdf

If the time is incorrect then you replace the battery (shown as BATT on page 10 of the service guide). If the time is correct, you use the jumper (labeled as CLR_CMOS1 on page 10 of the service guide) to reset the corrupt CMOS.

James

#13 dukman

dukman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hello James, thanks for the reply. Problem is I can't get it to post so don't see the BIOS screen. This problem got progressively worse during the week I first had the second beep and the BIOS screen kept appearing. I guess that was the time I should have registered with the forum! So what can I do now or is it the end ? I don't like keep pulling the power socket out trying to coax it as I will probably screw up something else but even that's not working anymore.

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

What exactly happens when you turn it on now?

Is it different than the picture that you posted before? Is there nothing on the screen?

James

#15 dukman

dukman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hello James, Yes exactly just the fans and hdd and it will accept a cd but the screen is blank now. The screen shot was from a week ago. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users