Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP LaserJet 5N Fuser Error Message

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Im hoping someone can give me some insight here.

I have two HP Laserjet 5Ns, one to use and one for parts. These are AWESOME printers and rarely break.

About a week ago I got the error message: 50 Fuser Error: Cycle Power. I swapped the Fuser from the other printer, and still got the error message. Then I swapped the big power supply on the bottom from the other printer: Same error message.

A few questions:

1) Is there a difference between a High-Voltage Power Supply and a Low-Voltage Power Supply?
2) If so, does my HP 5N have one of each?
3) If so, can someone send me a procedure and repair instructions on how to locate and replace the Low-Voltage Power Supply on an HP Laserjet 5N. The one I replaced is apparently known as the High-Voltage Power Supply. (Diagrams or schematics or pictures or even a video would be helpful.)
4) Also, is there someplace online I can download a FREE version of the HP repair manual for this unit? If so, could someone send me the link?

Also, if anyone knows a great printer repair forum that would be good place for this kind of post, please advise

Thanks So Very Much,
CharmedLife417

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi, I found this one.

HP laserjet 4 and 5 series service manual

Did You Try this from the manual

Power OFF the printer for a minimum of 10 minutes. If the
problem continues, refer to the “50 SERVICE error” section.

and Page 7-29 for trouble shooting

and Page 7-30 for

Table 7-10 50 SERVICE Fuser Malfunction Checks

Is the Fuser Assembly correctly
seated?

Is the Fuser Bulb/ Thermoswitch open?

Is the Thermistor defective?

Does the error persist?

Note The 50 SERVICE error message can be cleared
immediately by shorting the C202 leads on the
HP LaserJet 4/4M (or the C205 leads on the HP
LaserJet 4 Plus/4M Plus/5/5M/5N) on the DC
Controller. Remove the Formatter PCA to access
the DC Controller as shown in Chapter 6.

Power off of course since you are pulling parts to get to it. And that will only clear the error permanently if you have fixed the problem.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.
spelling

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Roger,thanks very much. I don't understand all of the terminology there, so I've just been pulling parts from other working printers.

Thanks for the link to the manual. I couldn't find it for some reason in a general Google search.

I have a good repair guy who can fix it, but I'm trying to go DYI to save a few bucks and learn something in the process.

I will check the sections in the manual, and let you know.

Thanks Again,
EducatedGuess

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Good Luck with the repair.
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Roger, thanks, I just got it fixed and it is now printing beautifully. But I do appreciate your help and concern.

For those who have a similar problem, here is the deal. The HP LJ 4's and 5's, and probably all laser printers, have two different power supplies, a high-voltage power supply and a low-voltage power supply. The high voltage one sits right on the bottom of the printer, the low-voltage one on the right side as you are facing the printer, right behind the power button.

If you are are getting a "50 fuser error" and have tried everything else, replace the low-voltage power supply. That did it for me.

This series of printers are legendary in quality and durability. If you need a workhorse printer for basic B&W printing, they are the best made. To this day, if you tell HP you own one of these printers, they will offer to buy it back from you (to take it off the streets).

What I've done is buy 2-3 backup units for parts off CraigsList. You can buy them for about $20-25 cash. Don't pay more cuz it's ancient technology.

Thanks,
Roger

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

That ended up being repaired quick.
Way to go. :thumbsup:

Just curious, did the manual help?

And thanks for reporting back
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 January 2013 - 10:22 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Actually, Roger, I really appreciate you sending the link on the repair manual, but I never got a chance to look at it, or needed to.

There's a really cool website called fixyourownprinter.com that sells parts and also has a pretty cool forum. I got great advice there, and they seem to specialize in the early HP Laserjets like the one I have.

The confusion was that there are two different power supplies in the unit, and I didn't know this. One guy said, "Replace the power supply," so I did, but that didn't fix the problem. The solution was to replace the LOW-VOLTAGE Power Supply, not the high-voltage one. As soon I swapped out the correct part and fired it up, the error message disappeared and I was back in business.

I do a lot of printing (I'm a writer and an English professor), but don't need anything fancy or color or high res or anything, just reliable and a ton of pages. The 98X extra capacity toner cartridge on one of these gets about 8000-10,000 pages, which lasts me about year. Really love these printers, although parts and toner cartridges are getting hard to find.

Thanks for Everything,
Scott

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I do have one suggestion, that link I provided is for a .pdf file, that I suggest you download in case of future need. You never know if or when a website may disappear.

I used and sold those printers and I liked them too.

Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 muer

muer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

hi Roger, or rotor123,

Thank you so much for  your suggestions. I had the same error after a power outage yesterday. After the power was back on, I got "50 Fuser error, cycle power" error on our Laserjet 5 printer. I turned on and off many times, and even unplugged the power cord, and waited for 7-10 minutes before plugged back. None of them worked, the error still there.   I even removed fuser and put back gain with no luck.

I planned to follow EWducatedGuess' suggestion to replace the low voltage power.  But I need to now where the power supply is. So I read the service manual rotor123 provided, and I found the following  lines:

.......The following conditions result in a fusing error:1Unable to maintain a temperature above approximately 180° C.2A temperature above 230° C.3A condition wherein a temperature of 165° C is NOT reachedwithin 90 seconds after power-up.

Note If a 50 SERVICE error message is displayed, turnthe printer OFF for at least 10 minutes. Failureto wait the full 10 minutes before  turning theprinter ON results in a continuation of the errormessage and the shutting off of the fuser lampcurrent during this time, though the source of theerror may have already been resolved......       at Troubleshooting 7-29

With the power unplugged, I put back all the covers and screws. After 20 minutes, I plugged the power back, and turn the printer on. wow la, it backed to normal. Works. 

So I didn't have to replace the lower voltage power and get the printer fixed. Just unplug the power, wait for a little longer. That's it. 

Hope this will also help others. 

Rogers rocks

cherrs

7-29

If a
50 SERVICE
error message is displayed, turn
the printer OFF for at least 10 minutes. Failure
to wait the full 10 minutes before turning the
printer ON results in a continuation of the error
message and the shutting off of the fuser lamp
current during this time, though the source of the
error may have already been resolved.
If a
50 SERVICE
error may have already been resolved.If a
50 SERVICE
error may have already been resolved

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

Thank You for the kind words.

I'm glad Your cure was so simple.

Have a Good Day

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users