Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS Checksum bad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 john1816

john1816

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hello,

After having my computer freeze in a middle of a game, I had no other choice but to hit the reset button. I then got a CMOS Checksum bad error - I tried resetting CMOS through the jumper and the computer loaded all the way until it wouldn't go load the Windows XP loading screen (shows only a black screen instead). I've replaced the CMOS battery with a new one months ago when I experienced the same situation and had it repaired in a computer shop so I didn't know how they were able to workaround it. I've set back the proper time/date in BIOS but still ends up being stuck. My motherboard is an MSI P35Neo-F

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

The CMOS battery is what keeps the proper time, if your time isn't staying current then you should replace the battery. I know that you recently replaced it, but it could have been sitting around long enough to effect its longevity.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

My time seems to be staying current not unless i attempt another CMOS reset. When i restart my computer and hit del to reach the bios it still stays the same. I think it might have something to do with my CMOS values - i just tried the "Load Optimal Defaults" setting in the BIOS menu after resetting CMOS. My motherboard is about 4 years old and usually when my computer freezes back then, I restart with no problem of getting the CMOS bad checksum error.

I'll have my battery replaced again and see if it helps.

Edited by john1816, 27 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#4 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Problem solved. It was the way how I reset CMOS and didn't need to change the battery, thanks for the help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users