Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc wont boot.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hi all. I've been having some problems over the last couple of months. If I turn my PC off it won't boot up again. It makes some ticking sounds and then I get a msg saying sata primary hard disk drive 0 failure. No boot device available. Then after dozens of attempts to start it, it usually boots up and runs fine with no problems unless it gets switched off. When running it restarts fine. The problem just seems to be when the machine is switched off even for just a couple of seconds. Unfortunately I recently lost my job and can't afford to take it to a pro to get it checked out. And im not able to spend time job hunting without it. Now after a power out last night I can't get it to start. Is it possible that this problem is fixable? Or is my hard drive fried? I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Im typing this from my phone so I apologise for typos.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I should add that the hard drive is only 18 months old and I've been having this problem for 6 months or more.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Both the ticking sound and the error message make it quite clear: You need to replace the hard drive.

Edited by Allan, 27 January 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#4 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Right ok thanks. Was hoping there was a cure as it runs fine once I get it going. Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

If you want to confirm, you can go to the website of the HD manufacturer and download and run their diagnostic utility. But from your description there's little doubt the drive is dying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users