Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Deleting Files...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aleahh

Aleahh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

I need help fast. I got a new PC, I am giving the old one
to a friend at work, but I want to delete my saved files from it.
The problem is that when I right click to highlight the file and delete
it.. the mouse pointer stays as an hour glass for like 90 seconds!!
How do I stop it from doing this? I wanted to get it all cleaned up
tonight so we can deliever it to her tommorow.. can somone PLEASE
help me out?? Thanks. Aleahh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:50 PM

I have an old Win 98 machine that's like that. But I'm usually deleting a large group of files, perhaps a hundred of them, at one time. It's an old 233mhz processor and it seems to slow a lot on some tasks.

It's probably a bit late to be doing maintenance on the drive, but regular defragging of the drive can speed things up. But more memory and a faster processor can really make it go more quickly.

You can delete more than one file at a time. Click on one file, then hold down the control key and click on other files you wish to delete until you have a number of them highlighted. Then press the Delete key. If you want to bypass the recycle bin, hold down the Shift key while pressing the Delete key. And don't forget to clean your recycle bin or the files will still be on the computer.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

A word of caution.

Just be aware that deleted files can still be recovered in most cases. So be careful in giving a computer away unless you know them very well. If you don't know and trust them, you will need to destroy the data on the computer so that it can't be recovered. That requires more than just deleting.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users