Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor heats up a lot (I did virus removal in the other section I am clean)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 venexiano

venexiano

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Dear all
I have a problem with my Laptop with an Intel I7 2.2 Ghz processor. I m running windows 7 64 bit. I wrote a few weeks ago a post on the virus removal section, I actually posted there because I had some adware, I followed the procedure until the end and now I am clean. Anyways since many months I noted that this one year old computer has its fan always running and it is overheated, my left hand is always super warm even better almost burning while I type ( i kinda like it since outside is freezing these days). anyways I never payed much attention on this, my computer was always super heated up because since I bought it I used it to run simultaneous numerical simulation (I do research at Penn State University). However, a few months ago I started to notice that even if I just open few windows and task manager says that the percentage of usage of CPU is only 7%, the fan is noisy and it heats up a lot. I can still work, the computer is fast but I dont think this is good for the hardware, I think it could break sooner. Any suggestion? 2 days ago I remembered that when I just bought the laptop I played with my windows power options, and I set change advanced plan settings --> Minimum processor state ->plugged in --> 100% . This because I wanted always to work with the maximum possible speed in order to obtain fast results from my simulations. Now I figured out this does not make really much sense because it should automatically choose a state on the range between min and max based on need. Anyway 2 days ago I set Minimum processor state ->plugged in --> 5% but nothing changed. I also downloaded CPU-Z and I noted the following: if all the windows are closed the CPU speed is 778 Mhz in all my 4 cores. If i just open firefox and a random youtube video it shows that all my 4 cores run at a speed jumping from 778 Mhz to 1999 to 2793 pretty randomly in time...this is wierd...any suggestion?
Thanks
V.

Edited by venexiano, 26 January 2013 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

One of the most common causes of overheating is an accumulation of dust inside the laptop. Try blowing it out with canned air.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 frankpowell422

frankpowell422

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Various "background tasks", wanted and unwanted, can contribute significantly to CPU utilization, and hence heating. Many antivirus products burn quite a bit of CPU/power when running "in background", as do things like the Windows indexer. There are also out-and-out bugs (like the "Vista 50% CPU" problem, and, of course, various malwares that can burn the CPU (and generate heat). You can install Windows "Process Explorer" (MS-distributed tool) on your system to better identify what's burning the CPU. Sometimes, the type of processor also plays an important part. For rg. AMD processors heat up like a volcano within no time. So you check these options. If none of these options work then you might have to seek a professional help like http://bit.ly/QL8D0f.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users