Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection Dropping

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blueskies

blueskies

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I have managed to set up my PC so my laptop can access the internet via a wireless network and Internet connection sharing.

Both run WinXP Home.

Laptop is fujitsu siemens AMILO
with Prism 802.11 adapter (3886)

PC
Netgear WG11T USB wireless adapter
Broadband modem

The problem is that it can take ages to connect the two with both missing the other when searching. When they do connect if the connection isn't used for about 10 seconds then the connection drops.

signal strength is consistently excellent.

Please help

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

I have a few comments:

1. Lots of people seem to have problems with USB wireless adaptors, the reason is not clear.

2. Should the model number you quoted be WG111T?

3. There are some solutions proposed at the Netgear forums here. See the post by didit for example.

4. Try uninstalling the wireless adaptor and reinstall it, but only use the Netgear software to install it, do not allow Windows to install the device.

5. Are you using wireless encryption? Some users believe the dropouts are associated with encryption use.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

ICS is also something i have had issues with. 802.11g routers are cheap. they work well with your broadband connection, either dhcp or pppoe. they give you a much more stable connection, they give you hardware firewall protection. and a slew of other lan/wlan/wan options. if you decide to do this, you should make your ip address static on your router instead of dynamic, this is easy to do, and if you briefly lose your connection, you may not even notice it. WEP, as mentioned before, is sometimes problematic with connection, it adds a key to each packet your computer sends on the network, slows your transmission, makes your wad smaller, and is generally kinda wimpy protection, albeit, better than nothing. for other ideas to secure your wlan, consider disabling your "broadcast ssid", and use flat addressing for authertication, i mean your mac address. but, you need to get a router first. ICS, i think may be what is buggering up connection. other things interfere with wireless alwell, such as ..ceramic tiles, stacks of paper, microwaves, 2.4 ghz phones, satelite connections. anyway hope we offered some helpful insight
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users